Sign in to follow this  
timg60

Help no main beam!!!!!!

Dont know if anyone has had this one.

Lights on dipped ok.

Flick stalk for main beam and light comes on, on dash.

BUT lights go off and no main beam or dipped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dash light stays on!!!!!

I know my way around metal bits(engine) but electrics HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE SOMEONE, GOT TO GO TO GLASGOW IN 4 WEEKS AND DONT WANT TO GO TO A STEALER WHO WILL PROBABLY ONLY TELL ME I NEED A NEW LOOM.

Thanks for being here c Forum

Do you have a relay-operated headlight loom modification? If you have, maybe the relay has packed up or the inline fuse has blown or both. But for both main and dipped to fail, this seems unlikely.

If you are operating standard wiring, it may well be the infamous headlight switch failure. A new switch is quite expensive, but I have heard of people taking them to pieces and repairing them.

I think that it is unlikely to be fuse-related in the standard set-up as there is a separate fuse for each phase of each headlight and the chances of all four going at once tends to zero.

Best wishes

RB

Do you have the uprated looms for both main and dipped beams, ie 2 relays?

To check a relay, apply 12v to the switching terminals and listen for the solenoid-operated contact to click over. If it doesn't, the solenoid is most likely burnt out. If it does, check that the switched circuit is closed by putting a multi meter across the switched terminals and looking for zero resistance. If it remains open circuit, the contacts are dirty or burnt. There should be a wiring diagram on the side of the relay casing.

A new 40A relay shouldn't cost more than about £10

Best wishes

RB

Try swapping the relays about. If the main beam realy is bad then the fault will transfer to the dip beam. If things stay the same then the fuse or something else is the problem.

Where did you get the loom timg60, I don't recall sending one that far south? Is it one of mine?

Gavin

Thank god all sorted,

Went to local stealer to pick up Lupo wipers!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a difference if I had known before this would of been the first 100 notes spent on my baby.

Whilst there grabbed a mech and cried for help.

He changed both fuses and one of the relays and sorted.

Guess what didnt charge me a penny either.

Said nice car mate whats with the wipers as he had never heard of anyone doing this and that was that.

Spose some of them are not too bad!!!

Still a ton for they pleasure of seeing where I was going though!!!!

Try swapping the relays about. If the main beam realy is bad then the fault will transfer to the dip beam. If things stay the same then the fuse or something else is the problem.

Where did you get the loom timg60, I don't recall sending one that far south? Is it one of mine?

Gavin

Dont know, It was on the car already, Car is from the Bristol area though so maybe the previos owner.

Cheers Tim

How much????? I paid about £40 a year and a half ago at VAG. They change the prices like most people change their socks.

Still, at least you got your lights going again, so you can see where you are going in the dark and the rain.

Best wishes

RB

No Idea, I bought her of a mate who had had her for two weeks then realized there was no way he could afford such a project.

Will have a look in her history later and let you know.

The name andrew is coming to mind but with me who knows!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim

Gavin

Looks like a Mr Blything from Bristol but as she has had 12 previous owners who knows sorry.

T