Sign in to follow this  
.Rich.

Scraping/Rattle Noise

My corrado (1.8 16v) has a wierd noise coming from somewhere within the engine bay. Its quite hard to explain the sound it makes, but its not a continous scraping its more of a pattern/tune. It scrapes for about 4seconds and stops for 1second and i *think* it only occurs at lowish speeds (

Now, there is a rattle coming from the cam's left side (perhaps under cambelt cover) on idle but i dont think its the same noise. This rattle doesn't happen on idle, or stationary with engine revving it also doesn't occur when the vehicle is in motion but the clutch is down and engine idling (When i lift clutch it starts up again).

I have searched but only come up with heatsheilds vibrating, but surely this would do it with a stationary car and engine revved or car moving and engine idle?

Should i just take the vehicle to a garage and take a mechanic for a spin to see if he can explain it?

Get the cam cover off and have a look at the tensioner asap (don't start it until you have done this)

Look for an off centre bearing or swarf from the bearings being chewed up.

eek ive been running it like this for about a week and a half whilst asking friends etc. Is this a big problem? new cambelt and tensioner or more?

Can i risk the 20mile drive home from work tonight?

I wouldn't - check it while it's still light outside... if you think it's ok then drive home but it'll only take you ten mins to have a look...

My corrado (1.8 16v) has a wierd noise coming from somewhere within the engine bay. Its quite hard to explain the sound it makes, but its not a continous scraping its more of a pattern/tune. It scrapes for about 4seconds and stops for 1second and i *think* it only occurs at lowish speeds (

Now, there is a rattle coming from the cam's left side (perhaps under cambelt cover) on idle but i dont think its the same noise. This rattle doesn't happen on idle, or stationary with engine revving it also doesn't occur when the vehicle is in motion but the clutch is down and engine idling (When i lift clutch it starts up again).

I have searched but only come up with heatsheilds vibrating, but surely this would do it with a stationary car and engine revved or car moving and engine idle?

Should i just take the vehicle to a garage and take a mechanic for a spin to see if he can explain it?

Well it can't be cam belt tensionner or water pump idler pulley (another thing prone to breaking up on early 1.8 16v's) as you say it doesn't happen with the car stationary or the clutch in.

That narrows it down to components that move when the ncar is in motion and the gearbox being driven from the engine. So it's not wheel bearings, brakes or drive shaft joints, could be clutch or gearbox internals.

The critical part on the valvers is the timing belt tensionner and belt, most other things will just leave you stranded if they let go. Always replace a timing belt and tensionner on a 16v if you are unsure of it's age/mileage or hear noise from the tensionner bearing, this can be more easily identified by removing the other drive belts and running the engine just for a few moments, removing the tensionner and feeling the smoothness on the bearing is another option.

reading your post again I'm a bit confused by what you describe, but it sounds more like a water pump idler pulley than the cam belt tensionner, do you have two pulleys on your water pump, the bigger one should just deflect the belt around the pump up to the alternator and not actually drive it, the copper mesh bearing surface in these breaks up, the main issue then being the noise, which can be intermittent as you describe.

David.

Thanks guys. One thing that i dont understand though is the pattern of the noise. I would have thought it was the bearings in the tensioner that the noise would be constant and relentless. But it has a distinct noise pattern of scraping for 4seconds and silence for 1second.

Will replace the tensioner/belt on friday though. And wont drive it before then.