Sign in to follow this  
LicklePaulie

SOS - Mobile VAGCOM in Leics?

It's a long shot I know but is there anyone around who could pop round to my address in L'boro and run a quick VAGCOM test for me?

I have a major problem with starting my VR... Everything turns over, engine misses, something (unknown to my ignorant brain) continues to spin up. This continues whether ignition is left on or turned off. It stops in its own time (sometimes twenty secs, sometimes twenty mins). Nothing else is operable while this is going on.

The spinning item sounds like the fan but is at the base of the engine block - I need to resolve my ignorance and find out... A) What is the offending component? B) What is causing the component to offend?

Am assuming VAGCOM would be the easiest way to sort this out? All helpful suggestions appreciated.

That sounds like the starter solenoid contacts are sticking and the starter is spinning free of the flywheel.....

Not VAG-COMable problem.

A big hammer job. Some Pug 307s were doing that and then spontaneously combusting.

Get that starter sorted sharpish.

Gavin

Thanks guys - I'll look into it asap (and I'm not running it til I nail the problem). Bit embarrassing running round in a Mondeo estate but I can't allow the C to die.

Right - here I've come across a slight problem. Got my new starter motor, removed the old after eventually getting bolts undone, can't get the top bolt back in when trying to fit the new - feels like something has slipped/dropped across the retaining nut at the rear of the casing. Did I miss anything obvious here or am I just doomed to being a failure? :oops: As before, all helpful advice gratefully received.

Jack the engine up...... Don't tighten all the other bolts up until you have all of them started.

Gavin