Sign in to follow this  
Tempest

Another G60 HELP request! Start and idle problems!

Eric, did you get to the bottom of your problems?

Not really, and neither did Vince at Stealth yesterday (after having found the reason for my power loss during the RR day).

Changed:

BTS (several times)

FPR (several times)

ECU + chips (several)

fuel pump + sender

CO-Pot (plus tried different settings)

checked ECU loom several times

knock sensor

fuel hoses in engine bay

fuel filter was already changed by previous owner

clip on fuel filter hose (small leak spotted during last summer)

checked:

fuel pressure switch

fuel pressure

fuel delivery rate (prompted me to change the pump)

injectors for leaks through spark plug hole (wet piston crowns or not)

fuel pump relais

ignition switch

dizzy cap and rotor, spark plug leads and plugs, Hall sensor (several times, have been replaced 2x by previous owner, too, as he wanted to track down a stutter problem at 2500 and 3000 rpm, which simply turned out to be incorrect ignition timing, as I myself found out :roll:, no more stutter ever since)

None of the above solved the problem or checked out as faulty (other than the fuel delivery rate, which was consistently 100 ml less than the minimum value of 500 ml over a 30 s period at 4 bar counter pressure).

Yesterday morning when setting off to Stealth, the Rado started up without hesitation.

Last night, after I'd taken the Rado in to work coming back from Stealth, it did stutter again for 2 seconds or so after firing up. Never does this on starts with the engine warm.

The only thing that Vince did suggest to check was the fuel pressure over an extended period of time (rather than just 10 minutes or so), like overnight. If after several hours there is no more pressure, then it could still very well be a leaking injector.

PS: G60Dub: Canterbury? I'm down there quite regularly these days due to work. Could meet up one day, when I'm next down there, and bring along some testing kit, if required :-) Always good to have a Rado-meet at the end of a long day at work so far away from home :-)

Tempest, That would be very helpful mate. Let me know when is best for yourself and we'll sort something out.

Thanks for the offer!

Luke 07921198608

OK, some results from my "extended period" test of the fuel pressure.

Started with a pressure of 3 bar at the pressure switch end (ignition on), noticed how after a few minutes it started to drop.

Started engine, 2.5 bar, switch off engine, climbed to just under 3 bar, then tailed off to little over 1 bar after 3 hours, then after 12 hours had a residual pressure of 0.6 bar.

Having been able to comparte these results to those obtained from Stevemac's G60 today (to diagnose a potential running problem on his G60), I immediately noticed how his fuel system did not lose any pressure, even over a 30-minute pe4riod.

So, I must still have a leak somewhere, most likely the cause of my stuttering on coldstarts.

Will now have to try and figure out where the leak is: Hose in tank (pump to lid, and hose to fuel line outside lid), unions, lines, injectors; can rule out pump (brandnew) and FPR (tried 3, none made any difference, one was brandnew).

@ Luke: Yeah, great, will do, need to look in the company diary when I'm next down there, but there is a large chance that it'll be in the last week before Xmas again.

Tempest

Tempest, I've managed to sort my problem. Turned out to be the lambda loom was faulty. Nothing abit of solder couldn't cure though.

Hope you find the leak asap. Dont wanna hear anything bad happening.

Thank you for the offer though matey. If your still around anyway and wanna goss about the women(corrados) let us know and we could go for a swifty.

Good stuff, good to hear your Rado is behaibng itself again.

I've sent you a PM, as I'll be down your end this Tuesday (business) till Thursday, and whilst staying in boring hotels would die to meet up with some like-minded folks.

On my way back home collecting new greentop injectors at G-Werks to (hopefully finally) solve my coldstart stutter problem. Can't find any other source of error that could cause my problem.

Tempest

Blimey. You've got some miles to cover over the coming days Eric! You weren't kidding when you said you were busy @ work! :)

Good stuff, good to hear your Rado is behaibng itself again.

I've sent you a PM, as I'll be down your end this Tuesday (business) till Thursday, and whilst staying in boring hotels would die to meet up with some like-minded folks.

On my way back home collecting new greentop injectors at G-Werks to (hopefully finally) solve my coldstart stutter problem. Can't find any other source of error that could cause my problem.

Tempest

Just reading these posts over again... do you know how bad they sound? lol

Yeah, doing the miles alright, that's 2 nights away from home next week. Oh well, not that one can do a lot in the evenings anyway, so might as well do a bit of business and get stuck in a Travellodge (4 whopping terrestrial channels).

There's a difference this time: Unlike normally having the company shed with me I will be in another white vehicle :-) Sooo, I could always get my hands dirty again on a Travellodge car park :lol:

Interesting to read though, that a wobbly Lambda-sensor loom can cause similar problems. I have actually tried to start mine a few times with the Lambdaprobe disconnected, but got exactly the same symtoms of stuttering. on coldstart.

The fact that my fuel system, however, does not hold the pressure very well after ignition off, compared to Steve's G60 Rado, would also suggest my problem is along the fuel rail / line end. Hence time for new injectors, not having found leaks along the section tank-to-fuel hose in the engine bay.

Tempest