Sign in to follow this  
steveo29

HELP WITH CAM TIMING MARKS...g-man help

PA110009.jpg

just changed the cam belt on my g60...i put it back how the old one is, but i think the cam wheel marks are somewhat vague

can anyone confirm where to line up with what

I know what you mean - that does look right but it's not clear at all is it... for something so crucial to be accurate you'd have thought they'd give a more defined mark to line up to!

The cam cover should have a dot on each side... I'd wait for Steve or Darren to confirm...

I think the dots should span the joint of the head and cover Steve. Although I just reset the timing on the Passat I am running and the mark that lined up with the joint of the head and cover was on the other side of the pulley facin the cam cover.

Is there not an arrow on the top of the cam cover facing the wing. If so should the 2 dots not be either side of the arrow???

Not got the Bently handy.

Gavin

I love the way you can't look at it directly as the wing is in the way... maybe jack the engine up but you could still get it wrong quite easily...

yeah, I managed to mess up the timing on J-DUB just before the last stealth rolling road session so I was running a tooth out... they're a sod, plain and simple... :roll:

supercharged...i already have that pic cheers, its not clear is it? that line is the top of the rocker? top of the head or what

PA110002.jpg

okay if you look in the center of the pic..the cover has a sharp edge to it, this happens to line up with a dot on the inside of the pulley

or should it line up with top of rocker, bottom of rocker or top of cyl head?

the GAP between the dots should line up with that sharp edge... IIRC there's also a dot on the back of the gear which should line up with it too, but I could be mis-remembering that... :|

The odds are that yours is right... Take out the king lead from the dizzy and turn the engine over on the starter for a couple of complete revolutions, then get it back to TDC (turning from the crank, not the cam and only the correct way to keep the tension on the cambelt correct!) and check that it's still as it now is... If it's that close, it's only either gonna be spot on or one tooth out which won't damage anything if you turn it over carefully to check it...

I ran my car for 2 months with it a tooth out on the cam (including a rolling road session and a track day at Curborough! :oops: :lol: ) so you ain't gonna damage anything checking it in this way... 8)

henny ...yeah there there is a dot on the inside of the pulley, i just wasnt sure what it it needed to line up with??

it runs alright...ive already had it up the road

When I just did my timing belts on all my 3 Karmann type 53s, I actually marked up the spot on the rocker cover that aligned with the camshaft sprocket with the old belt still on, then put on the new belt, and had my mark to help me. Actually I managed not to turn the camshaft sprocket at all in the whole process, hence it was still correctly aligned :-)

Tempest

When I just did my timing belts on all my 3 Karmann type 53s, I actually marked up the spot on the rocker cover that aligned with the camshaft sprocket with the old belt still on, then put on the new belt, and had my mark to help me. Actually I managed not to turn the camshaft sprocket at all in the whole process, hence it was still correctly aligned :-)

Tempest

thats fine if you trust the last guy that fitted a belt :?

Have to agree with Goodridge, I also added additional marks on the intermediate shaft and crankshaft sprockets. I don't think the previous guy on my 3 cars would have mucked up the settings, as I would have noticed that in performance.

Once it's all marked up, the new belts were on in less than 5 minutes and tensioned.

Tempest