Sign in to follow this  
bigbroony

How long?

After a couple of weeks of listening to my alternator whining I thought I'd do a search on here to find out the usual remedy. I was dismayed to find that it may not be the alternator but the timing belt.

I've been to my nearest expert ( PITSTOP in Newcastle ) and he confirmed that it was indeed the belt or at least the tensioner breaking up that was causing the noise.He's too busy to do the job for me any time soon so I'll have to take it to my usual "man".

I haven't spoken to him yet as he was out this afternoon, so how long could I' reasonably expect the job to take; a couple of hours, a half-day or a full day.

Thanks Alan

You don't say whether your car is a 16V / G60 ?

Anyways, I'd budget about £15-£30 for the timing belt, not sure price for tensioner if needs replaced, and a couple of hrs labour to replace the timing belt. However, you would be best advised to get it replace ASAP unless you want REAl problems to possibly happen as consequence of timing belt snapping etc.

Cheers

OOPS! yes its a 2.0.l 16v. The "expert " said it was the tensioner but the belt's so cheap it might as well get done as well.I've ordered the bits from my local ECP and am picking them up tomorow. I'll take the car straight to my "man" and leave it with him till he's done. Fortunately I'm currently on nightshift so I don't need the car.

Alan.

belt is under £15 for the 2.0 16V, however the tensioner is somewhat more expensive at £32! (prices from GSF) It should take about an hour for a pro to change a cambelt on a valver... you may want to consider changing the powersteering belt at the same time seeing as they have to take it off to do the cambelt anyway... ;)

Good luck! 8)

Got all the bits this morning from my local ECP. Drove there and back with fingers crossed. Bits, including two new drive belts came to £53.Itook the car to my "man" who can't do it till friday but I left the car there anyway. No sense pushing my luck any further for the sake of a couple of days inconveniencs.I'll just use my wife's Golf GTi for work.As we say in these parts "owt does for work!"