Sign in to follow this  
Jay_vr6

Fitting sump this weekend, what torque ?

I have to replace the my leaky sump this weekend but just need to confirm what the torque setting is going to be for the bolts (vr6 engine), any other tips welcomed :)

I did a search but came up wiht 2 different answers

20Nm (15ft lb). Just nipped up otherwise you risk stripping the block's threads.

20Nm (15ft lb). Just nipped up otherwise you risk stripping the block's threads.

Is threadlock a good idea on there then, my cam cover nuts seem to undo when nipped up without a bit of threadlock, although that might be partly due to the stupid rubber gaskets.

David.

Never used the stuff.

Essential to make sure both the pan lip and the block face are clean. Pan is usually easy as a wipe does that.

The bottom engine block face I use 3M's Scotch Brite lightly to remove the crud then fine emery paper to finish. Not about rubbing the metal away just getting a clean surface with no irregularities.

Then put the small sump bolts in at the front/back centre line point of the car at both the front and rear of the sump and work outwards to the wheels on either side when fitting the rest of the bolts. This stops the sump pan bananering in the middle leading to possible leaks/weeping.

Same goes for starting in the middle with final tightening up of the bolts.