Sign in to follow this  
NickVR6

Lambda Hole plug thing

Sorry, this is for the other halfs vento vr6, but im hopeing someone on here may be able to help with such a simple and boring problem!

The exhaust is blowing really badly at the front. turns out on her (original vag) cat there are 2 lambda holes. One has the probe in but the other is blanked off with some sort of bolt. Well it was, but now its rusted and has a big hole in.

My hilariously funny VAG man explained that they don't sell this plug and so i'd have to buy a new cat. OMG WTF are you talking about you strange little man, i'd rather weld a bake bean tin over the whole than spend £600 on a bit i dont need!

Anyway. Does anyone either:

-Know where to get one

-Know the thread size (assume its same as the lambda one

-Have a kunackered lambda sensor I can mod to fill the hole

Cheers

I'd rather be working on my own car-Nick

What you need to buy is a stainless steel bolt (for the high temps), the same thread and diameter as the lambda probe you have. The bolt may be too long and should be cut/sawn to have the same length as the thread body part on the probe. Ie. not the probe length as well. This because the probe is narrower than the threaded area and unless you can check down the hole, as there may be an interference.

Torque seems to be about 50Nm (36 ft lb).

Obtain the bolt from a proper tool shop/hardware shop (few & far between these days). Can't say I've seen probe sized ones in B&Q.

Thanks RW, i was thinking that might be an idea. My local garage said they would just put a slightly smaller bolt in and weld it on. Nit sure it would last without cracking though? Plus i cant see them getting a welder in there easily!!

WHY DON'T VW SELL THE PART!!!!!!!!!????????????????

Weldingings another solution OK but localised heat could do damage to the cat monolythe block inside. As well as underbody if not protected by sheilding.

It's not illustrated on any cat I looked at. Parts man would just find a bolt for the techie to fit and it would rust again.