Sign in to follow this  
potatonet

exhaust heatshield removal?

ok so my exhaust heatshield or glasspack is making a wonderful rattle noise that I have to get rid of, wondering if I remove the heatshield if this will cause the interior to get really hot, I have heavy duty sound deadening and insulating material in the interior right now so can i do the removal without any issues of heat and the interior getting hot...?

Removing it will eliminate the rattles but, unless you're parking on dry grass, won't really have any adverse effects.

Err... depends what we're talking about - the lower sheild on the cat stops the car setting fire to grass beneath it but the heat sheilding above the exhaust pipes is crucial and should only be repaired, never removed - it will heat up the gear linkage for one...

The heat sheilding is held on by radial spring type washers that eventually rust away.

If there is enough thread left on the pins,you can actually get a washer and screw it tight with a 10mm nut-but only if there is the thread there.

Unfortunatly,I found this out after the heat shield fell off my Rado-Iexperimented with this and got it done on the Golf. 8)

there is one above the catalytic converter (now just a pipe), and one above the main exhuast pipe that follows the cat, (the second heatshield towards the rear of the car (2nd in the exhaust tunnel) under what would be the rear seats, will removing this do anything, I think it will heat up more of the underside of the car, otherwise Im talking out my arse...