Sign in to follow this  
DANG60

BAHN BRENNER CHARGER.

Have any of you had any experience with a Bahn Brenner screw charger. My g60 unit is in need of a rebuild and ive seen the video of there corrado with that charger on and i love the noise it makes. As u's are all probably aware they reckon its more efficient and it also makes full boost at virtually 2000 revs. Also whats maintenance like on them. Just looking into tuning options at the moment so if u can think of any other routes i would like to hear about them. Cheers guys.

Hi there, I have had what you could say reasonable experience with these chargers now.

They are a fabulous replacement to a g60 and produce fantastic boost. However be warned.

1. they are loud and will draw attention, I have just fitted the silencing kit to my car and it is near stealth now, but remember it is $600 more and will cost another £140 in postage, unless you can purchase one second hand.

2. these chargers, although indestructible, can and will fail especially if you run smaller pulleys (the whole point in getting one I think) or run a silencing kit (see vortex forums) I have rebuilt my charger three times now, a job which is not for the faint hearted as the tolerances between the two blades is 24000th of an inch and setting this gap can be painful. Although they do seem perfectly serviceable when they do fail (lets hope I am still saying this a month from now)

3. Bahn brenner will not warranty these chargers if you run anything above the 12psi pulley that they supply as standard so bear this in mind if you purchase one, My charger has custom bracketry built by my father in law in is much more supportive than the bahn Brenner kit. However when I have needed parts John Betz at Bahn Brenner has been very helpful.

and once again the power increase from these chargers is amazing I know that people in the states have been hitting 235 bhp + at the wheels 260 - 280 bhp at the flywheel from these chargers, I know that is possible from the odd g60, but the low down power is fantastic

I've got one on mine and I love it mate. Depends if you want everyone knowing you, knowing where you go, where you've been and what time you were going there.

Its loud and absolutely everyone looks at you. I've had people checking there own car because they think something is wrong at the lights. Two people have pulled over for what reason I dont know.

They are also easy enough to fit and run well off the standard chip, although a sns would be recomended and they have maps off the shelf for a corrado with this charger.

5th gear at 20mph is as stealth as it gets without the silencer.

I'll try sort some audio out next week once i've fitted my new wheels and tyres as current tyres have wires coming through.

Thanx for all of the info guys, i think thats just made me want one even more lol. Is it just bahn brenner that do these kits or are they available else where. Just thinking of the import duty. Thanx again.

Two people have pulled over for what reason I dont know.

Possibly because these chargers are about as loud as a police siren. The cars that stopped probably didn't have any road tax or insurance or something . :lol:

mine arrived today fresh from my mates dads hand luggage, rock on saved on duty and shipping, didn't realise they could break though cheers, now im worried as i kill everything, especially as i bought the 53mm and the 50mm pulley's(for next year after the bottem end rebuild)

can't wait to get it to daz's next month, ohh it's like christmas

Keep us posted, Thats what i thought get one and keep things sensible till i can afford a rebuild and then start changing pullies. Have heard not to expect any cahnge from two grand tho lol. Gonna e-mail bbm as he might have more of an idea about shipping costs etc.

Def true about the police ciren. If you blip the throttle just right it sounds remarkably similar.

About 2 grand is probably about right. Depending on what the rates are at the moment. By the time you have bought the charger, maybe the filter or a pulley, paid for postage and VAT and then import duty. + I had to pay my bank for a transfer which was 30 quid or so.

Import duty is not as much as you would expect though when you have $450 wrote on the sales documents :twisted: Good man that john betz.

g-dub you not fitting this yourself? Take a day at the max. Just make sure you wd40 everything on the old charger well before you take it off and bolt the oil lines onto the new charger before you bolt it to the car as its a bugger to do after. I asked john to change the instructions to mention this and I think he did?

Its crap when your on your own struggling to fit and it all has to come back off .

sure i could do it myself, the g-lader is all off and wouldn't take 30mins but i want it all set-up at the same time, as i had a standard charger and std pulley,

so this is gonna be a big supprise for me, can't wait

glad to here it, hope jabba learnt there lesson,

jamesmilsome/samg60 what pulleys are you using and what sort of boost you getting, what would you compare it to g-lader style

I am running an 18psi pulley 53mm (see my sig for full spec) and see about 16psi on the gauge (I guess the front mount IC eats a few and the big valve head breathes well.

The boost is amazing better than any g60 or g40 I have been in, scary boost see 15psi at 3000 rpm and just keeps pulling all the way to the redline (damn I treat these cars badly)

I have a spare 15psi pulley if anyone is interested

wicked thats the same one size i have,

did you say you have rebuilt the bahn brenner 3 times now, how often and why at what cost, sorry for the quiz

g-dub, 3 times in the last couple of months!!!!

no cost he did it him self

but rebuiding is not quite the same as a Lader

yeah 3 times in the last three months, the damn thing just seized on me, admitdly I was driving the thing very hard (near red line in second and third all the time) but I was led to believe these things were indestructable, the scroll just got so hot it melted and welded itself to the casing, now I am not using BBM bracketry so people might argue that it was my fault but I know this has happened to people in the states, the problem is when running small pulley sizes these things spin vary fast and the aluminium gets very hot any specs of dust can get in or the metal can expand at different rates and the whole thing can sieze, it then takes lots of patience and some dremmeling to sort the problem out.

I have managed to sort the charger now and hopefully will last me three to six months before I buy a new one from BBM.

people who run the silencing kits are even more at risk as it puts a heavy weight on the side of the charger and can distort the casing. which is why I have special bracketry to support the full underside of the charger and the end where the silencing kit fits.

I have also read other articles from other companies who produce twin screws where they have falied becuse of the heat generated. (dont get me wrong I love these chargers and would never go back to a glader, but be aware they aint perfect.

nice one sam

just thought id reply for you :oops:

anyways is too fast for me i`ll stick to me vulvar :lol:

ben

ohh so if you give it lots it'll break, GREAT as my car is for drag racing and thats all i will be doing is hammering it, look forward to many repairs,

ohh the wife will love this, i was led to believe it was a bolt on and forget charger that never needs serviceing well not for a long time anyway and that was indestructable, how long did it take you to break it the first time

also why would your diy bracketry do damage surely that would help, as i did notice it's only held on by the 4 allen key bolts at one end, thought that was a bit wierd

well my diy braketry would not break it that is the point its just that a few people have made diy braketry and then BBM have claimed this is the reason that some of the chargers fail (and in fairness it could be depending on the supports), my bracketry supports the whole underside of the charger, bolts to the existing g60 braket and supports the tail of the charger.

I just experienced one of these on saturday night, was well impressed!

it was in my mates rallye and it has made quite a difference to the car.

neat instalation too

i just fitted my screw comp, wicked sound although e :albino: :albino: :albino: :albino: :elephant: :bigsmurf: :flower: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: :nuts: veryone thinks there is something wrong with my car!!!! you gotta remember that you should probly have a bigger than standard ic if you are running the bbm! thats what i was told so i had to get a rallye cooler and that meant new pipework, then i have to get a chip, then i thought i may as well get a smaller pully, then cos of power need new tyres!!! its a never ending expence for me!!! just after i bought my charger from bbm, 2 went on sale for about £200 less than usual, have a look if they are still there?

dont get me wrong i love the new charger, it's so unique!!!!