Sign in to follow this  
mr.ots

Rear fog lights

I was checking my lights today and noticed only the offside rear foglight was lit, on checking I found there was no bulb in the nearside holder and the hole in the lens unit was blanked off.

Removed the blanking cover (snaps out) and fitted a bulb and now have two rear fogs, although I don't think the n/s lens has the reflector but it still looks ok.

Although this has been discussed before I thought would mention it again for those of you that would like two rear fog lights.

Yep, thats normal...

The lack of reflector means it looks slightly different but as long as they are not left on for ages then it won't do any harm...

I think you can buy the light unit off a LHD car to get a reflector on both sides (can anyone confirm this?)

Two rear fog lights is confusing. In fog it looks like brake lights. That is why it's one on most cars with sense.

Two rear fog lights is confusing. In fog it looks like brake lights. That is why it's one on most cars with sense.

Correct me if I'm mistaken but aren't there are a lot of cars that have two rear fog lights.

Also one rear fog light could look like a braking motorbike as opposed to a car with one foglight. Just a thought. :wink:

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 states that one or two rear fog lights are permissable.

Yes and I can't say from a safety angle its sensible given a dual bright light means brakes, but the original design and minmum requirement was for 1 on the off side to avoid confusion with brake lights (back in the late 1970's).

Whether it's a bike or a car in fog. It's still the same space on the road!

I can't remember which Vauxhall puts out the tail lights and puts on dual fog lights but that makes it even more confusing.

Technically a picky MoT man will fail the dual fogs in what you are suggesting as the brightness is not even due to the difference in reflectors plus the car was never cleared with dual lamps. You want to try my MoT man! But at least I know my cars are sound on the day they were tested.

It's the same when fitting LED replacement bulbs in place of the filament bulbs. They aren't acceptable a) cos the car wasn't specified with them and b) the reflector wasn't designed for them for the correct light scatter/focus.

End of the day, you take your choice. :)

"I think you can buy the light unit off a LHD car to get a reflector on both sides (can anyone confirm this?)"

Yep, the LHD left inner unit has a fog light mirror relector built into it like the UK right hand one. Got one to hand and checked. Part No. is 535 945 107 not 107A as fitted to UK Corrados at build / delivery

IMHO I dont agree that it is less safe to display two rear fog lights and if this was the case I would expect The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 to only allow one rear fog to be used.

I also don't agree that a bike and a car take up the same roadspace. If I had to take emergency action in heavy fog I would be inclined to steer to the nearside (offside could result in a head on collision), if i was following a bike I would probably be able to steer sufficiently to aviod a collision by heading away from it's rear light. However if I was behind a car with one foglight I may well not be able to adequately judge how far to the nearside to go to avoid collision.

I accept that a picky MoT man may well decide that my additional foglight was not standard fit to my c, however according the The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations my additional fog light is permissable. I could always remove the bulb before the test, I wont tell him if you wont. :wink:

I think you can buy the light unit off a LHD car to get a reflector on both sides (can anyone confirm this?)

FK lights, etc, have reflectors in both - so I run dual-foggies.

Andi, snap... And my spoiler mounted brake light lets people know I'm braking WAY better than the normal brake lights! :lol: 8)

well the US Spec rado rear lights that i have got were same as the UK ones, and took them off the car myself!!!

well the US Spec rado rear lights

Part No. 535 945 107* ie. * = what? Out of interest. Had the car since import?

USA & Canada was another market standard, particularly lights which is why the Bentley is only useful as a guide on lights.