Sign in to follow this  
Waz

alternator

hi all just wondered iv any 1 could help the battery light on my 1.8 16v rado is constantly on. when the engine revs to 3000rpm the light is almost completly off until abt 3500rpm then it gets bright again.i have changed the brushes for new ones but still no change any help would be great thanks :)

check the blue wire from the alternator.... there should be a connector down by the starter motor... if this wire has crappy connectors on it or is damaged the light on the dash will do strange things...

hi all just wondered iv any 1 could help the battery light on my 1.8 16v rado is constantly on. when the engine revs to 3000rpm the light is almost completly off until abt 3500rpm then it gets bright again.i have changed the brushes for new ones but still no change any help would be great thanks :)

Diodes are probably shot, what voltage does it show at the battery when the engine's running? Less than 13.5V with most of the electrics off and providing your battery is holding charge it's almost certainly the diodes. Not worth fixing, get a new or exchange unit.

David.