Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

Don't Flame Me - seriously impressed by a Corolla Verso

Typical top notch build quality but what really impressed me was the engine.

The new 2.2 litre diesel engine - also going in the Lexus IS220 is absolutely awesome. Its incredibly quiet and refined and the power stats are pretty impressive - 175 bhp, 295 lb ft at 2000 rpm, makes it a genuinely nippy car, 0-60 in just over 8 seconds - all in a nondescript and practical family car

Yea I do really like the sound of that engine...

Has very good reviews in the Avensis too. Apparently VW are going to drop the pd units strarting with the next polo unit.

I borowed my mums boy freinds toyota corrola a few months ago, dont know which one and it impressed me, really smooth power and when the turbo gave some it pulled along nicely. They cant all be bad and if i didnt drive german i'd drive jap for sure!

drive the new mondeo TDCI 2.0....then get back to me flippin rapid in the right gear at the right revs and handles like a hot hatch

Dont mean to be pedantic, but you sure the corolla had a turbo?

I love Jap cars, there well specced up compared to most european cars but horses for courses really.

Yea new Mondeao TDCI is good, but still doesn't have as much bhp or torque as the new PD unit's so nothing to shout about, and the new 2.0 PD's still have higher bhp per litre then even the new 2.2 175 Verso engine.

samm_cvr6, last diesel i drove was a cav 1.7 td they were good in their days but for a diesel this one shocked me...as i wouldnt mind having one for a dily driver, really comfy car

Yes they are very nice indeed, as is the Passat, real motorway munchers, but if you want to be shook by a diesel then go test drive a 330D.....

Think is the 330D is from a "performance manufacturer" and usually has big wheels etc - what was so shocking about the Corolla Verso was that it looks so damned boring and plain - real wolf in sheeps clothing

samm_cvr6, last diesel i drove was a cav 1.7 td they were good in their days but for a diesel this one shocked me...as i wouldnt mind having one for a dily driver, really comfy car

This is kinda what i've been trying to say since getting my TDI.. yeah, they still sound a bit clattery but they flippin go alright!

The 150PD engine is just unbelievable so I can only imagine what the even newer TDI engines are like.