Sign in to follow this  
lurch3185

My Rado's birthday

hi peeps after a we bit of advice, i am looking to 20v my rado and am trying to find out what problems i may face what can be done to over come them.

My rado is a 89/G.

Any help/advice would be grately appreciated.

Ta

Lurch

Personally I'd prefer to start with a later VR or G60 shell.

It's not going to be cheap - depends how much work you can do yourself.

Use the search!! It's kinda been discussed ;) Although the CGTI forum probably covers the 20vt conversion a lot more.

Welcome to the forum

cheers bud, i am at a bit of a loss as to which way to go with my motor, also thinking about maybe throttle bodies but fancy the power of 20v.

In your opinion is it work modifying the 16v engine or would a be throwing money away?

The body work and engine on mine are totally sound

Throttle bodies (in my opinion) don't really seem worth the money/time.

It's not easy to comment without more details.

I think that chucking a 20vt into an '89 car will be an expensive job, especially when you consider that it's probably not just the engine that will need attention.

There are relatively easy enough ways to extract more power from a 16v but it depends how much you want and what your long term plans are.

Odds are, whatever you do, you'll end up wanting more!

cheers for posts peeps and i am guessing that it would probably work out cheaper to source a newer 'project' car in the long run for the conversion.

As for the 16v engine i have stainless system and stroeve induction kit and minimal knowledge of Throttle bodies, what are the pro's and con's?

JMR is currently building a Valver with throttle bodies to go into his Westfield, may be worth giving him a call

20vt lumps are lovely.. mates got one in his mk2.. love the way it drives & responds.. if you have the mechanical knownledge the lumps not hard to fit.. PVW did a fitting guide a while ago.. plug & play looms are aval & tunning options on a 20vt are great!

or you could turbo the 16v lump! do a search on the forum, been discussed before..

goodluck..

thanks mate, just seem to have lost my sense of direction not really sure what i want to do, have a fair bit of cash to throw at the lump but not sure what to do