Sign in to follow this  
RobyD

tinting rear lights

Anyone got any tips on getting a nice shiny, factory looking finish with the spray stuff? I'm doing the top half smoked. Did them ages ago but they look really dull and nova-ish :x Did my old golfs which turned out spot on but with different stuff which i cant get hold of anymore.

Best thing to do is rub the raised writing on the clusters down with wet and dry sandpaper, and make sure you spray them somewhere nice and warm. You can laquer them after but I tried that once and it didnt work for me. Have a go tho.

Doing mine at the moment. :thumbleft:

So far I've sprayed them with several coats of black tinting spray - they're really dark now. I've spoken to a friend of mine who owns a bodyshop and he says the best thing to do is to rub them down with a sanding sponge (oblong sponge with rough finish). Give them another light coat of tinting spray & then laquer.

Should be finishing mine later this week. 8)

Mate, as you've already done the tint, just laquer them. Do you remember mine when I picked up the wheels? Nice and shiny :D

It took about 5 coats to get it like that :shock: You can actually spray it on quite thickly. I started off with thin coats, but it wasn't doing much, so just thickened them up and hey presto!

HTH

Cheers lads - great step by step guide, thats just how i want mine!

Mate, as you've already done the tint, just laquer them.

HTH

Think im gonna start over again Andy, do it properly this time. They need touching up round the edges anyway coz they're showing orange there.

What am i best off getting then, laquer or clearcoat. Just halfords stuff do?

quote from that tutorial: "I took my lights to a friends bodyshop to clear them. Professional clearcoat is the best to use and I highly reccomend it over store bought. I slipped the guy $20 for his materials and he was happy . If you do not have acess to professional clearcoat, use an ENAMEL based clearcoat. Do not use a laquer based clearcoat because it will strip all of the Nightshades off the tailights."

Halfords stuff is fine :D

Make sure you have some nail varnish remover hndy in case the tint goes wrong :? :)