Sign in to follow this  
White2505

today I have mostly been... dealing with that bl**dy idle

it was raining outside and windy so I knew today had to be the day to tackle the idling problems I've been experiencing (sigh)

Problem is only on cold start. It starts perfectly hitting about 1400rpm then imediately drops super low almost stalling then upto 1400ish again then back to around a 1000 BUT when you try to drive off it wants to stall for the first few minutes. Once warmed it drives MUCH better.

I'd already checked the 5th injector was okay, the ISV was buzzing and seems to do the right thing (squeeze hose and engine dies. all plugs, cap and rotor arm have been replaced.

and so to it.

On initial inspection of the throttle body I noticed that the metal lever that presses against the black micro switch (idle switch I presume) on the side of the throttle body was about 8mm in front of the switch at rest. i.e. not touching the switch at all!!

Some bu**er had adjusted the grub screw that determines the levers rest position to this setting (WHY???).

Backed of the grub screw so the lever now activates the switch at rest and it all seems to be doing it's thing.

of course by the time I've sorted it and checked it a couple of times the engine has warmed up sufficiently that the symptoms cannot be replicated until tommorow morning when the engine has stood for several hours and gone cold again.

So what do you think? have I cured another of my car problems or just changed it slightly for tommorow morning!

Sounds very similair to a very intermitent problem ive been ignoring recently, hoping that it goes away. But it only happens when cold, and only very infrequently. If it continues, you can rest assured ill be be in contact!!!

So what do you think? have I cured another of my car problems or just changed it slightly for tomorrow morning!

If the lever wasn’t touching the switch then that is most likely going to be the problem. I had a faulty microswitch on my old golf and that had the same probs as your car. Just make sure that all the vac pipes are properly connected also :D