Sign in to follow this  
zacon

Changing the timing belt (G60)

I'm having a really hard time getting the center bolt of the lower drivebelt pulley loose. The engine is not in the car, and that is probably making it worse, since the crankshaft is rotating.

What should I do?

Are you sure? I took out the four bolts around it also, but it didn't help much, except that the power steering pump pulley came off.

Supercharged: You need to take the drive belt pulley off to get to the timing belt pulley.

I got it off now, I didn't need to to take off the center bolt like you said. Silly me. Thank you!

Well, on mine as I couldn't get the pulley off either, I ended up taking the crank pulley off (after I'd removed my non-stretch crankshaft bolt, then separated the two pulleys with a hammer and chisel - they were that tight :roll:

As long as you get all the timing marks nicely lined up again, that shouldn't be a problem :-)

Tempest

They are usually well stuck together. On my Passat I had the blowlamp out along with the freezer spray and a good soaking with WD40. I eventually got it off after a good pounding with a rubber mallet, rocking it side to side.

I cleaned it up good style and grease the living daylights out of it for good measure.

Gavin

Mine came off quite easy, really, I just used a hammer.

I got the new belt on now, really hope I got the timing marks right. I turned the camshaft pulley to where it should be according to the instuction illustration, then I aligned the distributor shaft pulley and the crankshaft pulley so that the mark on the crankshaft drivebelt pulley overlapped the mark on the distributor shaft pulley.

I couldn't find any marks on the crankshaft pulley itself. I had to turn both the camshaft and crankshaft pulleys a little after I took off the belt. I hope I didn't break any of the valves.