Sign in to follow this  
G60-R

Smelling fumes inside on start up.

Hi guys after some help.

When i start my passat G60 cold and have the heaters on inside i get quite a strong smell of petrol/fumes. Not bad when moving but when sat in traffic first thing on the way to work it fills the car.

I've removed the carbon canister and replace some supect looking vacuum hoses so all her hoses are good now, still geting fumey smell.

Is this just the smell of a G60 when getting warm? I've only had the car a week and a half so still figureing her out.

Any advice welcom.

Hi guys after some help.

When i start my passat G60 cold and have the heaters on inside i get quite a strong smell of petrol/fumes. Not bad when moving but when sat in traffic first thing on the way to work it fills the car.

I've removed the carbon canister and replace some supect looking vacuum hoses so all her hoses are good now, still geting fumey smell.

Is this just the smell of a G60 when getting warm? I've only had the car a week and a half so still figureing her out.

Any advice welcom.

Thats why they put the carbon cainster on there.... :wink: Use the search this has been dicussed before!

EDIT

Route the breather back into the bottom of the air box straight away..8.5mm hole is all thats needed.

Hi.. this might not be it but you might wanna have a read through this old thread of mine. I had a small fuel leak in the engine bay.

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14874

What caught my eye was Henny's post.. he said he had a small leak that would clear up after the car warmed as the rubber expanded on a fuel hose and sealed the leak!

Have a read and get checking in the engine bay! :)

Hi guys after some help.

Any advice welcom.

Thats why they put the carbon cainster on there.... :wink: Use the search this has been dicussed before!

EDIT

Route the breather back into the bottom of the air box straight away..8.5mm hole is all thats needed.
[/quote:f7f78]

This problem was there before i removed the cainster and breather has been re-routed. but thanks anyway.

Just seems strange mine did exactly the same after removing it, I just have the breather poked in a hole in the wing.

Cheers jim. Good thread. i'll be having a snoop on sat, to dark in the evenings to do after work.

A couple of questions though; What does FPR stand for? Where is/what does the fuel filter look like? Will i have an external fuel pump on a 1991 passat?

Cheers all.

Just seems strange mine did exactly the same after removing it, I just have the breather poked in a hole in the wing.

I spoke to Darran before doing mine so it went strait into the airbox.

Check your inlet manifold's nice & tight & the gasket is in good condition - seen a few of these which had started to leak.

FPR=Fuel Pressure Regulator, makes sure there is enough pressure on the fuel rail for the injectors to produce a nice spray pattern, when activated. When not activated (electrically), then makes sure, fuel is returned to the tank. Input signal from vacuum from intake manifold.

Fuel filte is like a coke can, sits close to right rear wheel underneath the car.

1991 G60 should already have the single in-tank pump and no 2nd pump next to the fuel filter underneath the car.

As far as your smelling petrol on coldstart is concerned: Had the same on my G60, replaced the 3 fuel hoses inside the engine bay, and gone was the smell.

Leaking fuel lines inside the engine bay (rubber expanding/contracting with temperature changes, clamps not being able to cope with this lets fuel get past and onto a warming up to hot manifold - not good) can lead to what's described and shown in this thread http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24695

Tempest

Thanks for the knowledge Tempest. i've got loads of tweeking to do on sat, good job i love doing it!

To all on this site, members, creaters, admin ect. With out a doubt the most useful and friendly site about. Well done all.luxhello.gif