Sign in to follow this  
ZippyVR6

might have just blown the headlight loom?

Just fitted one of majiks looms, Quality looking bit of kit.

but in the final tightening on the +ve terminal I managed to touch the spanner to my ring and my ring to a metal bracket on the car.

Big spark and lovely burn on the inside of my finger.

thats repairable so no worries but now I only get sidelights?

have checked the two fuses in line to the loom, and fuse 11 and 12 on the fuse box and they are ok. any ideas? might I have blown a resistor on the loom?

Zippy,

been there done it myself in the past.

from what you've described (battery shorted directly to metal work rather than to the loom itself I'd be suprised if you've fried the lights)

before the final tighten did you have working headlights with the new loom?? (this proves the new loom WAS working prior to the short out)

can you plug the lights back into the original loom? if so do they then work ok? (if yes this suggests the new loom is faulty/fried/wired up incorrectly, if no back to the drawing board!!)

Assuming it's the loom playing up (no insult intended to majik), Do you have a good earth for the new loom?( this is quite likely as many many electrical faults are directly attributable to either a loss of the 12v supply or loss of the earth)

Do you have a good +12v supply to the loom?

if yes to both then do any of the wires on the new loom that look like they have melting to the outer plastic coating?? (if so the conductor inside is probably shot and that piece needs replacing, although you would have probably seen smoke from the plastic as it melted!!)

Check fuses in main fusebox and any fitted on the new loom although as per the very top If all you hit with the spanner was a metal bracket I'd be suprised if you managed to fry anything.

let us know how you get on

Thanks for the replies but It was a simple one, I must have pulled out a couple of the spade plugs when moving it about. :oops:

As for the big bang i dont think Ive blown anything as all the fuses are intact and everything seems to work ok.

oh and bright lights :)