Sign in to follow this  
vr-man

Reader Coil Resistance

Hi,

I'm having problems with my immobilizer again. The colder weather seems to cause it to misbehave. The problem is the engine cutting out after 1 second...stone dead.

VAG-COM shows Code for "engine start blocked by immobilizer" and "key signal too low".

Does anyone know the correct resistance for the reader coil. Mine shows 6.6ohms which seems reasonable for a coil. However surfing around i've seen values of 24ohms quoted for reader coils in VW tech stuff. Maybe mines starting to short out.

cheers

If you now plug it back in coil plug back into the box, does the engine start OK?

Will try that next. Problem could simply be a dodgy connection into the immob. Wires all over the place at the moment. Will report tomorrow eve.

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

"Even cheaper, WD40 the three pin connection plug on the immobilser box, the plug that connects the coil cable out of the steering column. Known issue for all Oct'94 to June '95 C's plus all key immobilsed VWs 1995 - 97 unless modified with gold contacts.

If not that, check the coil reader is in position correctly around the ignition barrel, they have been know to "slip" so that the key chip cannot be read."

Reason for plugging back in is cos there is a micro-corrosion problem with 199 - 97 VWs and this key system. Plugging back in will "scratch the contacts to conduct and WD40 stops the oxidation. Has worked for 8 years on my C since last done.

Ignition key lock barrel key reader (Part No. 1H0 953 254E) resistance is 8 ohms between white and brown wires (pins 1 & 2).

Allowing for DVM differences.... coil is in the right ball park.

Used a small wire brush on the contacts and sprayed in a little contact cleaner before reconnecting. Starts ok now.