Sign in to follow this  
merkaba22

Right axle noise

Hi once again!

Well, my '93 VR6 has a soft rythmic noise from the right wheel area when I turn right which I am concluding is the right axle somehow -- it was something like that with my previous and older Jetta.

I guess if I am right it might be timely to attend other things, like doing both sides and including new axle boots. Do you concur and is there anything else to suggest while the repairs are being made?

I was wondering about the ABS system in particular -- I put on Brembos and Hawk pads in the late spring but get a grinding noise sometimes as if the pads were already worn out (can't be) and there were at least two times this past summer that the ABS light flickered on momentarily.

Anything obvious that could be done at the same time?

Hub noise on lock usually down to CV joint, but more usually makes metallic clicking sound rather than soft rhythmic noise, so this may be the bearing just starting to go. If its only a gentle noise then I probably wouldn't start to worry about it just yet.

The pad noise often will often occur with very light braking and is absent when braking at reasonanble pressure; just a factor of light pad contact with the disc or tiny bits of grit trapped on the pad.

Random ABS light almost certainly a wheel sensor. Either clean them all or if that fails vag com it to identify offending one.

HTH

Hey Chris -- thanks.

Actually the brake noise that is harsh happens occassionally but under harder use between light and full on -- so there is still a bit of a mystery there.

Thanks on the insight about the bearing too -- is this a good time to address the sensors? If the sensor goes out what are the implications, I am a bit ignorant on this matter?