Sign in to follow this  
Tempest

HELP!!!! How to fit single-in-tank fuel pump?

Help needed asap please:

After having managed to get the old single-in-tank (new G60 Rado) fuel pump unit out, I now wanted to fit the new one.

But as the unit needs locking by means of this horrible bayonet ring at the bottom of the tank, which you can't see when you're trying to lock the pump unit (obstructs view), how the heck do you lock the pump?

I just can't get it done!!! What am I doing wrong?

The old pump was a brown one, the new one is a white one. Have tried to, as an exercise, fit the old one again, but that one I can't get to lock either.

I am stupid, I know, best if someone in the neighbourhood could have a go for me, as I'm about to give up. Give me a Rocco, pleeeaaassee, as that is way easier to do. I'm about to cry in anger :cry:

Any help appreciated!!

Tempest

Hello Eric.. sounds like you had a frustrating day! Pour yourself a Glühwein! :)

Do you not have the Robert Bentley manual for the Corrado? I have the CD / online version but am not at home tonight. I can have a look tomorrow night if you still have not found the solution and get the details over to you! :)

It’s a bugger that, but sadly its just a matter of wiggling about until it fits in. I wouldn’t worry about it being different. I threw away a knackered perburg pump (that was a bit brown, but I thought that was its age) and replaced it with a VDO (brilliant white). So the fittings on both must be the same.

I seem to remember that the problem is that the bottom of the tank isn’t flat so you need to hold the pump at a slight angle to correspond to its mount. Check this though I could be dreaming! :lol: Also check where the pipes are meant to join to the pump, this should tell you roughly what position the pump will be in when attached. Once you've worked that out try rotating it either way.

I bet when you get it in, you’ll wonder why it took you so long. :lol: :lol:

Bentley doesn't mention anything.

I'm about to just jam the thing in, and drive around like that.

Anyone fancy having a go at the RR day next Sunday?

Otherwise I'll have to take it to a garage ... :-(( For something as simple as this!!! :mad:

Tempest

Drop her in nice and square rotate untill you feel it drop down about 5mm the twist and lock... I do agree though they could of made the access hole a little bigger..

IIRC

put the pump in the tank with the float for the sender pointing directly to the back of the car, then turn it so the float is pointing to your right knee (presuming you're stood at the back of the car and leaning in)

it should then go over the bayonet, then needing about an 8th of a turn clockwise to lock it in.

if that doesn't work, just look at the pump, one of the slots is bigger than the other 3 and that coincides with a bigger tab on the bayonet.

Thanks folks, got the pump in in the end :-). Bentley is wrong in stating the float should not face towards the front, whilst failing to mention where it should face to (i.e. indeed to the right when standing in front of boot), and I seem to remember that the float was actually facing to the back when I took the old unit out, which is what I tried to simulate with the new one, but without luck.

Having no daylight rather than a neon-tube and a torch that's run out of batteries, all in the freezing cold with a fullt ank (icecold fuel is no fun to dip your hands into) did not make things any easier, as I couldn't really see the one out of the 4 bayonett locking tongues that is larger than the others. :lol: Bring back summer!!

Well, the Rado fired up, and is currently idling. Not going to take her out tonight, as the roads here are full of the corrosion-promoting stuff, i.e. gritsalt, again, and I have just washed her this afternoon after yesterday's short trip around Coventry had already resulted in loads of black salty deposits on both front and rear.

I just hope that will cure my cold starting problems ...

Tempest

Nice one Eric - glad you got it all sorted. I was worried i'd have to take my Golf to the Stealth RR Day on Sunday then for one worrying minute! :D