Sign in to follow this  
Baz2004

MOT questions

I’ve got to MOT or NCT as its known in Ireland the corrado soon. Its a 1989 16V with 176K.

Is there anything specific that fails these cars? Anything I should look out for/replace repair/borrow for the test? I’ve heard already nightmare storys about old brake lines needing replacing anything else I need to get the paint out for ?

With a car of this age and mileage it could fail on anything to be honest... has it had a service recently??

Either go thru the MOT checks as in a golf/passat haynes manual or just put it in for the test and see what they say/advise...

There is a quite a bit Ive done to it over the past year - upgraded the brakes and suspension (2 pot front calipers and mrk iv rears, H&R coilovers) and I intend putting in the upgraded headlight loom in the near future. Ive also put on the lupo wipers and rebuilt the head replacing all major components like starter motor, dizzy, water pump, stat, to mention a few.

There are a couple of small rust patches on the OS wing and at the back box, Ive replaced all the front bushes and wishbones/link rods wheel bearings/hubs and new disks and pads all round. Ive also upgraded the brake lines with goodridge and sparco lines.

I guess ill just have to leave it in and wait and see how it goes, chances are it could fail on emissions and the brake lines from what I hear.

I’ve got to MOT or NCT as its known in Ireland the corrado soon. Its a 1989 16V with 176K.

Is there anything specific that fails these cars? Anything I should look out for/replace repair/borrow for the test? I’ve heard already nightmare storys about old brake lines needing replacing anything else I need to get the paint out for ?

brake hoses, play in rear wheel bearings, wishbone and balljoint play, leaking shocks all seem quite common on these cars at this age, then there's the general tyre, brake pad and disk wear and leaking exhaust systems.

16v's can blow a lot of oil when the valve guides wear, usually at anything over 100,000 miles, but it has to be really bad to fail the emissions. Fortunately you don't have a CAT to worry about.

All depends on how well they've been maintained at this age really.

David.

brake hoses, play in rear wheel bearings, wishbone and balljoint play, leaking shocks all seem quite common on these cars at this age, then there's the general tyre, brake pad and disk wear and leaking exhaust systems.

16v's can blow a lot of oil when the valve guides wear, usually at anything over 100,000 miles, but it has to be really bad to fail the emissions. Fortunately you don't have a CAT to worry about.

All depends on how well they've been maintained at this age really.

OK ignore most of the above, just seen you've covered most of it with new parts :)

David.