Sign in to follow this  
Andy D

Help can't get my vdo gauges to work

Hi chaps need some advise i have fitted some vdo gauges to my c and i am having problems getting them working properly. I have purchased a twin pole oil pressure sensor and a oil sump plug sensor from big boys toys. I fitted the twin output senson on to the oil filter housing and connected all the wiring up. Ran the vehicle up everything look fine not a problem took the c for a blast and the oil pressure buzzer came on. So back i went home and i swoped the two terminals over took it up the road buzzer didn't come on but now the oil pressure gauges just is stuck on max the whole time. Spoke to big boys toys they didn't know what was wrong. Just need to know which sensor do you replace with the twin pole the big or small one also has any one any pic i can look at. i think the sensor it faulty any one had this problem

My car is a G60

Just been told its the brown oil pressure sensor you have to replace with the twin pole but need to know for sure some one out there must of done the mod on a g60

well i think so spoke to big boys toy and they say there is only one sensor its a five bar gauge i can get it to work fine if i reverse the wires but the oil light comes on when you drive so that why i think the new sensor might be faulty

Maybe not. Wrong position.

The oil filter housing position is closed circuit (made) when engine running. Works the buzzer in the dash by detecting the engine above 2,000 rpm-ish has pushed the switch closed. Your sender is going open under this condition.

Cylinder head is open circuit when running. It can only be fitted in the cylinder head switch position if you want to use the switch part of the sender.

Also, sender will work but if 5 bar used with 10 bar gauge then readings are incorrect and same for vice-versa.

ok

my 16v 92 I had to replace the brown sensor, at the front of the oil filter housing. I think the remaining one is white?

I installed the two pole sender into the front of the oil filter housing and rewired the spare pole into the gauge.

I have a wiring diagram (attached) which will show you which wire needs to be connected to the oil pressure light and which connects to the gauge.

Mistake I made was connecting negative to the "G" on the rear of the gauge (it was late). Ensure your connections are correct positive (+) gauage (G) earth (- mine looked like an upside down T tho).

Hope thats help, keep us updated.

Wiring diagram

Ok i have sorted the problem cheers for all your help. In the end i fitted the sensor to the side of the cylinder head on the t piece that feeds the charger and has another oil pressure sensor. So if anyone does this mod this is where it needs to be fitted

Here are some pic

DSCF0695.jpg

DSCF0694.jpg