Sign in to follow this  
crackannello

corrado 1.8 16v (1990)

I have an iregular engine noise like a kind of grumbling sound similar to a dry bearing coming from the pulley side of the motor. I have had some suggestions of cambelt tensioner or waterpump. The alternator has just been replaced and the cambelt has been replaced 3000 miles ago but i don't know if the tensioner was replaced. The car also cuts out (very rareley) pulling up to a stop (which is another problem). Any offers?

Raymie.

My money would be on the cambelt tensioner especially since you say you have had your cambelt replaced lately.

Best way to find out is to remove the alternator and power steering pump belts and then start the engine for a SHORT while to see if the noise is still there.

My money would be on the cambelt tensioner especially since you say you have had your cambelt replaced lately.

Best way to find out is to remove the alternator and power steering pump belts and then start the engine for a SHORT while to see if the noise is still there.

Thanks, I never thought of taking the belts off to isolate the noise (bike mechanic you see!) Cheers. R

engine noise

Thanks, I never thought of taking the belts off to isolate the noise (bike mechanic you see!) Cheers. R

Just took the belts off and the noise is still there, also checked the service history and the garage have replaced the cambelt tensioner when the belt was done in 2002 (5000mi). Anybody got any ideas??

The tensioners are notoriously crap and three years is a fair while regardless of mileage; my money's still on the tensioner. They're not that expensive and not that hard to change really. Is it worth a try? I would.

You only have to over tighten the belt slightly and the tensioner will grumble it's head off.

A new one from VAG is only around the £25 mark