Sign in to follow this  
VWci

Which one is faster 1.8 16v Corrado or 2.0 16v Corrado ?

-- The given figures for 1.8 16v corrados are like that :

0-60mph: 8.6 s

0-100km/h: 9.1 s

Top speed: 212 km/h - 132.5 m/h.

-- On the otherhand given figures for 2.0 16v corrados are like that :

0-60mph: 9.3 s

0-100km/h: 9.5 s

Top speed: 210 km/h - 131.25 m/h.

Are these true ? and has any of you driven both of them ? what do you think in performance perspective....?;)

The performance figures only tell half the story. The 2.0 16v I drove was lower geared than my 1.8 16v and it made a lot of difference to the way the car drove for day to day use. My preference would be the 2.0 16v.

The extra torque and the gearing (as bcstudent says) make the 2 litre a nicer every day car. Performance wise the 1.8 just has the edge, but there's so little in it that you really wouldn't notice it on the road. I suspect the in-gear times of the 2.0 would be better. Also, the 2.0 seems to get better MPG.

Buy a 2.0 and drop in the exhaust cam from a 1.8 :wink:

The 1.8 was designed to use 4-star petrol. If this petrol was still available, the 1.8 would be quicker.

As the 1.8 now has to use unleaded, it looses some of it's original power as a result.

The 2.0 was originally designed for unleaded petrol & should be a little quicker.

Any road test & performance figures that you may find are likely to be from when the cars were new - hence the 1.8 appears quicker as it would have been tested using 4-star petrol.

The 1.8 16v likes to rev

I'd say the 1.8 16v needs to rev. The wider spread of torque makes the 2.0 16v so much easier to drive in town but it's just as happy to rev on the open road. Like stevemac says, the 2.0 is also a fair bit more frugal when it comes for fuel economy.

Unless you fill up with Shell Optimax all the time. The 1800 16V needs the higher octane fuel, nothing to do with the fuel having lead in it or not. The 2.0 litre is much more flexible due to the better torque characteristics i should imagine. Never driven a 2 litre Corrado but I did have a 2 litre Mk2 Golf GTI which was a right torque monster....but thats another story

Unless you fill up with Shell Optimax all the time

Still doesn't give the 1.8 as much power as the 4-star it was originally designed for. :wink:

Still doesn't give the 1.8 as much power as the 4-star it was originally designed for. :wink:

Crikey, wouldn't have thought that.

My dads' old FSO used to take 4 Star !

The 1.8 was designed to use 4-star petrol. If this petrol was still available, the 1.8 would be quicker.

As the 1.8 now has to use unleaded, it looses some of it's original power as a result.

The 2.0 was originally designed for unleaded petrol & should be a little quicker.

Any road test & performance figures that you may find are likely to be from when the cars were new - hence the 1.8 appears quicker as it would have been tested using 4-star petrol.

It is still avaliable and yes it does have a higher octane rating than optimax

http://www.jec.org.uk/thrust.htm

I've only driven one 2 litre valver but prefer the 1.8, somehow it felt like it was more of a driver's car in my humble opinion.

Virtually all of the contemporary magazine road tests of the 2 came down in favour of the good ol' 1.8 too, so I'm not just talking thro' my a**. :study:

All true,but the main reason for the 2.0 was cats had to be fitted by law from 91/92 onwards and the extra 2.0 was to recover power being sapped by the cat.

same for diesels anything 97 onwards has to have a cat fitted.