Sign in to follow this  
chrisw

Independant front and rear fog lights

I just modified my fog-lights so you can switch front and rears independantly. I have a late model vr6 with two switches:

First take the switch out and pop it out of its casing. There are two switches which you can toggle back and forth. The one on the rear fogs (amber) side has two pads that you can see making the circuit when you toggle the switch whereas the one on the front side only has one pad. The inside pad on the rear fogs side needs to be covered up with a tiny piece of electricians tape. You can pop the plastic swivel bit out and get the metal piece, file down the pad by the thickness of the tape and cover it up. Try to keep the grease on it or put a dab on when you reassemble.

Chris

Yes same on mine, but I would like to be able to turn on the rear without the front, as it would come in handy for signaling to the car behind they have their lights on full beam without me flashing the car infront.

Yes same on mine, but I would like to be able to turn on the rear without the front, as it would come in handy for signaling to the car behind they have their lights on full beam without me flashing the car infront.

how about a 'finger' in the rear view mirror :fist:

ideally i want one of those LED mesenging boards to say Dip em dont Dazzle me you ba5tard.

or some james bond style oil slick.

Yep, that was the main reason I wanted to do this. Funnily enough, I used this feature today after doing this mod last night. Someone pulled out behind without their lights on, someone else was in front of me, so I gave him a flash of the rears and he turned them on. Winner!

Erm.. I may be wrong but I thought they were independant as standard on a VR6/later dash??

I am sure this argument raged on here before. You definitely couldn't have rears only on mine, a 94 vr6. I don't know if this applies to all late models, I presumed so.

Couldn't switch on the rears only on my 2.0 16v which had the later style dash. You still had just one switch to do it all and the first click of the switch turned on the fog lights at the front, and then the next click turned on the rear fogs - the front ones remained on.