Sign in to follow this  
ben16v

what does black smoke mean??

when i had my car on stealths rollers on sunday i notced a couple of puffs of black smoke from the exhaust

it made 153bhp and 129 ft.lbs so pretty healthy

its on 153K and the head gasket was done 30k ago, doesnt use oil or water and the only mods are stainless exhaust and panel filter

just wondering what the blackness would be

TIA

ben

s.g, thanks

thats interesting as i`ve just had the co2 set to 2% whereas it was always at 1%

as i heard 16v`s tend to lean out at the top end

is it anything to worry about???

ben

Sounds a bit rich up at 2%, poss drop it to 1.5 and prob get more power too as the burn will be more efficient! and less or no black smoke either.

Chris

if its only a little bit (and i mean little) it shouldn't do it no harm. but if it gets too much then get it tuned.

but as vr6storm says it could be just carbon coming out all depends how you drive it daily.( if you drive about not taking it above say 4500 revs the carbon builds up, then when you have had it on the rollers they have taken it to its limit in every gear its going to burn the carbon off) thats why you need to give a car a good tickle down the motorway now and again to clear it out.

sorry for being so long winded but i hope it makes sense.

Ben.. I didn't think the smoke coming out of your motor was that bad mate! I wouldn't say it was anything to worry about at this point.. as Roddy says, more than likely just some carbon deposits clearing out :)

thanks guys

just noticed a bit so i`d thought id ask,

might pop to get it set at 1.5% tomorrow anyway... oh and it got a good blast on the way home :lol: