Sign in to follow this  
bigbroony

Heater hose mystery

I eventually got my wifes car( Mk 2 Golf GTi ) back from a head gasket repair/ radiator replacement. Everything seems fine except the heater isn't exactly hot. I found that the inlet hose was mad hot but the outlet only warm.

The outlet hose has a plastic hose union in it with a thin rubber hose crossing over to the inlet side ( a balance pipe perhaps ).I found this to be blocked solid with crud, but that didn't solve anything. However by a process of elimination I removed the aforementioned plastic union( there's none of this gubbins on my Corrado by the way ) and found I couldn't see through it. On poking inside with a screwdriver I dislodged a small plastic grommet/ plug thingy. I put everything back together again, minus the small plug and the heater works a treat.

Has anyone any idea what this "plug" is and is it ok to leave it out?

Thanks Alan

Where the heater hoses emerge into the engine bay; the inlet hoe has some sort of alloy union in it and the outlet has a plastic union. These are joined by a thin rubber hose. As far as I can tell the outlet hose drops down the front of the engine and vanishes near the water pump. I can't think why there should be a restriction at all never mind a complete blockage. This "plug" seems tailor made for the union and seems to click into place.

The heater works fine now but obviously I'm worried that I've interfered with the setup.

Alan.

There was a recall that put a metal thingy there with a valve in that stops the matrix getting too hot and xploding water all over your passengers legs. We dont care, but it happened to an american women so it was recall time due to £££££££££££££££££££££££ law suit!

However if yours is plastic im not sure its the same. I know if you drain the coolant these valves can stick shut.

Need picks really dude

Thanks very much for your speedy replies lads. I don't have the technology for pics, and anyway I'm at work at the moment. The system has been drained and refilled half a dozen times in the last week trying to locate a leak so that theory sounds good to me.

Do you reckon if we keep the heater slider off the far right stop we should be ok?I have a VW breaker near me( VEEDUBS ) he may be able to point me inthe right direction.

Anyway its early doors on here yet someone may happen along who's had the same experience!

Just had a blimp about on the net( like you do when you're at work) and it definately looks like at least one of the inserts inthe hoses is a restrictor valve to protect the heater matrix though its mentioned that it's a pressure thing and not temperature. Maybe mine's just jammed shut as a result of head gasket failure?