Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigneil

Overheating and then not overheating?

Morning!

Well my attempt at buying a runabout has had £350 spent on it in a month!

Problem - overheated....

Had it serviced - £150 (few small problems also)

Bought some bits and bobs - £50

Problem - overheated......

Just had a coolant flush, thermostat checked and cleaned and some new plugs put into the inlet manifold (three I think) for the water pipes - £150

Problem - Now when I'm driving the water temperature goes up to 110 degrees then comes down to 75ish, stay's at 90 for a while and then goes back up to 110 and then down to 75ish?

What the hell is that about?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Neil

That what mine does, I recently purchased a neuspeed Thermo, havent fittled it yet as it so hard to get to the housing, I have dicussed this a few times on the forum and the general word is not to worry about it

it's strange it has to get to such a high temperature before the cooling steps in?

Maybe the fan isn't working properley?

Maybe the thermostat isn't opening quick enough?

Maybe the sensors/gauges are buggered

I don't know

Ben - you want to buy me a proper car?

The fan kicks in at 3 difference temps getting more powerful the hotter the car, Ive been told by many raddo owners not to worry, just keep an eye on it, put your heaters on full if stuck in traffic to help cool her down. I waiting to fit the thermo soon, just dont know how yet.

mine doesn't relate to whether I am in traffic/stand still or not.

I can be going along the motorway and watching the temperature increase, then get to some traffic, it will go up to 110 degrees and then start dropping down to 80?

weird car

mine doesn't relate to whether I am in traffic/stand still or not.

I can be going along the motorway and watching the temperature increase, then get to some traffic, it will go up to 110 degrees and then start dropping down to 80?

weird car

I meant (for example) that the temperature will increase while I am driving at a steady 50mph or if I am in traffic and then as soon as it gets to 110 (traffic or driving) it will cool itself down to 80ish degrees

That can't be normal

usually driving makes it cooler than traffic, this golf makes no difference, just keeps altering the temp on the gauge from 75-110 constantly whatever I am doing?