Sign in to follow this  
paddyg

Cooling system

Ok here's the issue and my understanding from what I've searched already. I'd like to know If I'm right/wrong and what to do please.

I've got the "no Hot air from blower problem". My symptoms are as follows: Car=1.8 16v and when car is off and I move the slider control I can hear what sounds like a flap moving about behind. Turn on the ignition and the blower works in all 4 positions. Start the car with slider in COLD position. Let car warm up first (5 mins) then move slider to HOT, turn on blower and I get a blast of warm air first for a short time (2/3 mins) then it gets gradually colder. Not as cold as when in the COLD position but not as warm as it should be either. This is especially evident if the car has been running for a while (20 mins).

Questions:

1)Where are the two pipes coming from and to the engine? can u edit attached rado_bay pic?

2)Should these be hot or cold in normal operation? (I assume its 1 hot and 1 cold correct?)

3)If these are hot and cold does that mean the heater matrix is delivering hot and cold air to the system correctly?

4)Can I then assume its either a "flap/slider" problem or a "stuck valve" problem?

5)Is there anything else it could be?

Also just to help me understand my problem....

6)How does the heater matrix use the coolant (G11/G12/G12+ whichever) to deliver hot and cold air to the interior? Is the block diagram I made up there similar to what is going on? The heater matrix is just a radiator right?

I cant seem to find exactly what the heater matrix does in my searches and I'd like to know.

Thanks a million for any help,

pat

I had this problem its you bypass valves on the heater matex pipes in the engine bay. Change the valves and you troubles should be sorted. Vw can't supply them they are on back order i got my set from gsf and they where cheaper.