Sign in to follow this  
DomVR6

Coolant Loss

My beloved VR6 has recently been losing coolant. I topped up and ran for @ 100 miles before the warning light came on again, a further top up was checked overnight and there was no loss. I am not mechanically minded so please excuse any bloopers in the following.

My local garage have run a pressure test - no loss when engine not running but a leak in the radiator occured when the engine was running. The mechanic reckons that one of the mounting brackets has punctured the radiator, he also mentioned that the radiator is not a single piece unit - he also thinks there might be a leak on the reservoir itself.

Do Forum members have any similar experiences and suggestions as to how best to resolve the problem? I am keen to source good quality replacement parts.

mine did the same, when we took the fans off i found a 10mm spanner imprinted on the radiator. had been there for a few years (as it had only ever seen vw servicing before i bought it you can bet your life it was the yts lad) and it finally put a small hole in the radiator after i installed the lower stiffer suspension :(

As for no being a single unit, well mine was, I got a replacement from GSF for £125 delivered and thats been running really well ever since.

Oh and installation is pretty straight forward for a novice, or a mechanic should have it done in under an hour.

Also worthy for future note is the hose that runs from back of head to matrix, leaks at the head end. Also the stat housing. If they are original they will be next to go.