Sign in to follow this  
roo

How does the bonnet release mechanism work?

The bonnet release mechanism obviously works by pulling the two wire springs attached to the slam panel inwards to release the bullet shaped pins on the bonnet.

This works fine on the passenger side spring as the release cable is pulling the spring in the right direction, i.e inwards away from the bonnet pin.

If then the driverside spring is also connected to the release cable it will be pulled in the wrong direction.

If anyone can explain how the driverside spring connects to the release cable i'd be mostly very happy!

Moving to Exterior. I know it's 'in' the engine bay but it's more to do with the bodywork...

dont know if this makes sense but I copied it from the bentley book, both springs should pull to the same side,

Thanks for the pic task 8), looks like i'll have to try and turn the driverside spring around, although i'm not quite sure how as they only really fit one way.

I've attached a few pics to try and make things a bit clearer, as you can see the release springs only really fit one way round, so how the flipping heck does the driverside one work?? :confused4: :confused4: :confused4:

my take on it is........

you pull the cable, which releases the nearside pin (note, this one always pops first) - when released, the tension in the nearside release spring pulls the cable to release the offside spring.

So, pulling the handle pops the nearside and the tension in this spring then pulls the cable back to release the offside ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

actually, thinking about it, i don't think this is right now???? :roll: :scratch:

H8RRA, yep i'd thought about this and came to the conclusion that it wouldn't work, as it would mean that the driverside spring would permanently be pulled inwards.

Plus, I don't remember taking anymore clips of the release cable, except the clamp for the passenger side spring.

If anyone fancies 'poppin' their hood' and having a look, in the interests of solving this little mystery i'd appreciate it.

This works fine on the passenger side spring as the release cable is pulling the spring in the right direction, i.e inwards away from the bonnet pin.

If then the driverside spring is also connected to the release cable it will be pulled in the wrong direction.

The cable release is quite fascinating! The passenger side is pulled by the inner wire. The Driver's side is pushed by the outer cable cover.

The driver's side relies on the bend in the cable at the driver's side headlight being tightened (sharper radius) by the inner wire and the outer cable cover being fixed at the pull handle in the cabin. That slight change of bend radius and it being anchoured at the handle is enough to push the wire arm into the centre of the car and release the bonnet pin.

This is why the driver's side doesn't pop when the outer cable cover anchor point at the handle has broken.

So if the bonnet won't pop on the driver's side (common issue) and the anchor point is loose at the handle, the outer cable cover should be gripped and pushed forward while pulling the handle.

how do they work?

simple.....they don't.....shittest bonnet catch I have ever seen on my life.

I'm going to VWMS bonnet pins when I get a carbon bonnet and binning all this crap.

got to agree with phat - i had a cable snap and what a chew it was to get to the passenger side pin to release it - utter wnak