Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

will a 1.8 16v elbow air pipe fit a 2ltr 16v?

Edit:- will a 1.8 16v elbow air pipe fit a 2ltr 16v?

Original message:-

I had to call the RAC out last night as my car wouldnt idle, Its done this before but after a while of trying to start the car its worked and idle'd like 'normal'

So after 30 mins of him faffing around he found a split in the elbow pipe just before the trottle body, he taped it up and it got me home.

few questions:-

Would this split stop the car from idling or was it something else he dissturbed and flook'ly put right?

How much are the elbow pipes from GSF or second hand

and is there anything else i should look out for?

Thanks if anyone can help me!

Neil

There is a possibility that it was coincidental. Clearly, an air leak between the fuel metering head and the throttle body isn't ideal, but I had the same problem on a friend's 2.0 16v and the car idled ok with a huge split in the rubber. It was a bit flat to drive on account of the lean mixture though.

I got both the rubber inlet parts from a scrap yard for £8 in perfect contition. I can't remember exactly how much VW wanted for them but it was a lot (for what they are).

I called VW for one a while ago and they wanted over £50 :shock: I put a wanted on here and got one for £5 8)

i think i'll need a trip to scrapy then, can i get it from any 2ltr 16v VW engine that looks the same as mine?

Yeah, it does. The ones I bought for the 2.0 from the breakers were on a 1.8 16v and, although they looked slightly different, the part numbers were identical.