Sign in to follow this  
Rob_B

another g60 won't start!

hi, as suggested my g60 won't start! the engine turns over but it sounds flat and is not making any attempt to fire. it did this the other day and finally started after a long time cranking it over and once it was warm it started fine. now its cold it doesnt want to know. the car is garaged aswell so its not like it as cold as it would be outside.

after my new alarm fob braking,my heating packing up and then finding the stem seals are gone, im at my wits end!

please help!!!

Rob

Have you tried changing the blue temp sender located in the water flange on the front of the head?

This controls cold start.. And if broken or disconnected engine will only crank over

Had a similar problem with random starting/cutting out.

Tested to find no spark, i changed plugs, leads etc. Drove me nuts for weeks!

Turned out to be the hall sender in the dizzy.

Might be worth a look.

The BTS won't stop it starting, it'll probably overfuel like mad without a temp reference.

If it were to fail whilst running then the timing would become fixed and the motor would feel very flat.

I would look at the fuelling, is the pump priming and then running during cranking. Fuel pump relays fail.

ECU relay, is there a spark.

Hall sender in the dissy, is there a spark and does the fuel pump run during cranking.

Bad ign switch, another common failure.

Gavin

The BTS won't stop it starting, it'll probably overfuel like mad without a temp reference.

It will cause the symptoms above tho when trying to start from cold... try plugging the blue plug into the black sensor and trying again or measure the resistance of the Blue one... Hall sender could also cause this - check for oil contamination in the dizzy...

I assume you've checked the battery voltage Rob?

battery voltage is ok, turns over with no problems. the pump primes but i havent had any pipes off to check its pumping will turning over.

if i went to it after a couple of hours, it will fire briefly and then cut out. after this it will just turn over. thing is it doesnt sound right when its turning over. hard to describe but its just turning over and not making any attempt to fire. its making me pull my last 3 hairs out i tell you!!!!

Rob

thing is it doesnt sound right when its turning over. hard to describe but its just turning over and not making any attempt to fire

Could be the hall sender is knackered, pull the plug off - does it sound any different?

Maybe also check the injector wiring harness...

i swapped over the blue temp sensor and voila it started.

new problem...... the oil pressure light comes on on the dash. the beeper doesnt go off though which is a little strange. have checked the oil and its fine in both colour and level.

now this reads to me as either a oil pressure sensor failure or something much more serious. could someone please enlighten me as to which is more likely?!?!?!

does anyone actually have a corrado which has nothing wrong with it?!

Rob

Cool - The old sensor must have been completly dead (open circuit)

Sure you didn't knock something when changing the BTS - check the wires to the oil pressure sender, check engine earths...

does anyone actually have a corrado which has nothing wrong with it?!

LOL - the TDI was completly dead this morning, checked the battery voltage and it was sitting at 1.6VDC, Nice! - will find out whats actually up with it tomorrow!

The light comes on with the ign and stays on. The chances are you have knocked a wire off. Have a look on the filter mount or the side of the head. I can't remember which switch is which.

One turns the light off once you get .3 of a BAR of pressure, the other puts the light if you don't have 1.8 BAR above 2000 revs.

Gavin

the light flashes as soon as you start the engine. the wires do feel really brittle which with the combination of heat and oil isnt unexpected.the blue temp sensor was replaced not long ago from VAG, so can anyone tell me the exact part number of the said sensor?

think i night get some more oil pressure switches from GSF tomorrow and replace them and check the wiring while im at it. then once i can actually get it running then i can strip the engine out so i can rebuild it, YAY!

Rob