Sign in to follow this  
catch_twotwo

German car testing

Ok, moving to Germany in the new year and been looking up some information online about things....

I can handle the import paperwork, boring but ok. However I've been told that the German MOT is very hard on the car, much more so than the UK version. So has anybody had any experience in this matter ? anything special I should avoid....

Things I'm worried about :-

Tyre depth... I have 195/40/R15

Lowering... Lowered 40mm

Speedo.... I have UK spec with both MPH and KPH

Also anybody know of this supposed 185bhp cap on cars.... somebody told me anything above this and insurance will laugh at me ?

Thanks guys 8)

why not sell it and buy one out there,,, meant to be cheaper and better options on them too.... or is that just not an option then!!!

Hmm....

Because Germany and Austria are the two most expensive second hand car markets in the world. I bought my Rado here so I didn't have to pay big money for it out there.

The TUV (equivalent of our MOT) is totally intolerant of oil leaks. There are also certain modifications, like tyre sizes and speed ratings, which must have a specific approval.

Happy New Year

RB

Also, you'll need right-dipping headlight units and a bulb in your left-side rear foglight. And a fire extinguisher. And a warning triangle. And a first aid kit which is in date. And a yellow reflective coat, probably a set of spare bulbs. Perhaps a map showing the road to Poland as well....

Happy New Year

RB

Don't know for certain. Your registration document will show the manufacturer's standard tyre sizes and ratings, and then there will be an homologated list of alternatives.

Best wishes

RB