Sign in to follow this  
tattyrado

g60 won't start -fixed for 5 mins, buggered again now

My g60 has always been good at starting - exept for the dodgy ignition switch. But I parked it up last night and this morning the starter motor only just turns and lets out an awfull shreeking noise like a cat in a gearbox. Could it be anything to do with the cold or is it more serious?

Please help because my missus' mk2 GTI is refusing to start aswell and I need to get to town.

OK so it worked for a bit, but now it won't turn over at all. If I run a cable from the battery to the solinoid sometimes it will click, sometimes not but the starter motor won't turn over at all.

If it is the cold would it do any harm to dump a kettle load of boiling water over the solinoid and starter motor?

OK so it worked for a bit, but now it won't turn over at all. If I run a cable from the battery to the solinoid sometimes it will click, sometimes not but the starter motor won't turn over at all.

If it is the cold would it do any harm to dump a kettle load of boiling water over the solinoid and starter motor?

I dont think it will do any harm, but I doubt it will help much either, you need a new starter really, have you tried whacking it again?

check your battery first ....symptoms can be very similar.

Put you battery on charge for a day or so.....ignition switch won't help matters either

I've checked the battery and its OK, I tried jumping it off a big leisure battery just incase but to no avail. I've beaten the crap out of the starter and solinoid but still nothing. Does anyone know the rough price of a new starter motor, and how long do you reckon it'll take me to fit it?