Sign in to follow this  
selbekk

sudden death

okay, I was just stopping at a gas station to wait for a friend of mine a couple of days ago, after driving for about 30 minutes on the highway. Me and my passenger just sat in the car, with the heat on and stereo on (not really loud tho). Suddently, after... let's say 5 minutes of idle, it just spluttered and died.

Does the battery drain that fast, or is this something else? The alternator is in tip top shape.

Kris- does sound like the battery, I would replace it with a new heavy duty decent quality (Bosch/Varta) one and see how it goes.

Good luck :viking:

crdo16v, thanks, but the previous owner bought a new battery last may, and I think he bought about 3 of them in about three years. Is that even normal?

If I'll buy anything, I'll buy a deep cycle yellow optima or whatever, so it won't happen again anytime soon ;)

Did you get any impending warning lights on the dash coming on and flickering when you started up the car in the mornings. If so could be the Alternator. Also check the wires to the connection t the starter motor as these become corroded

woody, the rescue car guy checked my alternator, and said it was charging great. I'll check the starter wires.

3 batteries in 3 years, seems like there's something drawing current with the engine off, I'd take it to a good auto electrician to check out, I suspect that's it's likely to be "connected" :gag: to the ICE install.

the stereo is connected through the battery, yeah, but it's not on at night or anything. I dunno, but the earth point seems kinda... bad to say the least. I'll go buy a couple of new terminals and a yellow optima battery some day this week. Are there any earth points in the motor room except the original one? I once read it wasn't exactly the "nuts".

I probably should get someone to look over my car, but I'm having the starter motor and clutch changed these days, so i'm kinda skint at the moment.

I had the same problems with my ICE draining the bat. I found that the AMP was still being powered when the car was off. This together with the Alarm and Immob drained the bat. Have a look at the wiring, check the amp and the other obvious things

Good Luck

hi, I just left my dream and pride to a mech guy who built a rado vr6 turbo from a £500 shell himself, so I guess I trust him for a day (that's how long it would take him to change the clutch, starter motor, fix the handbrake (something not too major), fix my bouncing and sometimes stalling idle, as well as find and fix this drain problem. All my problems will be solved :)

I noticed a slight spark when I reconnected the battery terminals. That means something IS using current, doesn't it?