Sign in to follow this  
Waz

rear axel

hi i just fitted my new wheels to my raddo yesterday and have noticed that the passabger side rear sticks out further than the drivers side :? cousing it to rub the arch when hitting a dip in the road or when some one is in the back of the car.i was wondering if the rear axle is adjustable from side to side if not is there any thing i can do any help would be great CHEERS :roll:

The rear axle has a small amount of sideways adjustment. The brackets that bolt the whole assembly to the chassis have elongated bolt holes.

Similar problem with mine, although that's because I have a slightly bent axle & ET15 wheels. :shock:

et15 :shocked!: that must be a tight squeez iv got et20s on the back i even thought of getting a little skimmed of the back to make them sit in a wee bit more but i dont know if that would be possible what do you think :)

VERY tight squeeze - I had to grind off the rear wheel arch lip on one side to stop the tyre from rubbing.

My car is a late spec G60, it has the later (slightly wider) body & narrow G60 axles. I doubt ET15's would fit otherwise. Front wheels don't catch at all, which is good news.

For the moment, until I fit my other axle, I've lifted & stiffened the rear suspension. Once I get rid of the bent axle, I can re-lower the car & the tyres won't catch at all.

i thought about getting some coilovers but imnot sure i might see if some metal can be skimmed from the back of the wheel perhaps 5-10mm.there is only a little lip left on the arch a couple of mm at most but its just the one side that is catching :bad-words:

rear axle has a small amount of adjustment ,but is only there for easy bolt fittment.

make sure your axle bushes are ok, and are pressed all the way home.

a lot of diy ers cock this up quick fit style.

you will always get a differance side to side on any vw due to tolerances and this can be huge.

it always seems worse when you carlos fandango it.

:p

Waz, Some wheel refinishers have the equipment & skills to skim the mounting face of the wheel. This will make the wheel sit further inboard & have less chance of catching the outer arches.