Sign in to follow this  
Shaggy

crankshaft bearings

Due to change my crankshaft shaft bearings on the G60 within the next few days can anyone give me a few hints along the way so i dont fuck it up?

It is just a question of removing sump then undoing the required bolts to remove cap and removing the old bearings and replacing with new ones? cant be that straight foward? 8)

That's the easy bit,hopefully the crank's journals won't be scuffed or damaged,theoreticly you should also change the rod bolts because their strech types,the other thing that's garanteed to be sods are those 3 bolts on the sump near the flywheel,be carefull when you re-thread them back into the engine block.

And be carefull detaching the oil pump's plastic sheild,it's very brittle,if you can ,buy the gasket with the windage tray built in,it cuts the amount of oil thrown about onto the crank,tomorow morning i'm doing the same job as you so good luck.

i was reading somewhere that the rod bolts may be re used once? i ve had the sump of before and i know what you mean about those three little bolts, they are indeed sods, but the whole process cant be as long winded as doing my cylinder head change... :)

Let me know how you get on.

by the way if anyone is wanting to use the "uprated" Mk3 Golf Tdi Crankcase bearings i managed to get the part number from darren at G-werks the other day when my car was being sorted out.

Part no. 028 105 701 J (VAG)

Apparently they are the same bearings that are used in the S3 aswell :)

Havent managed to do the bearings yet, went into VAG on sat and they have had to order a set in for tuesday now...

mike did you get a price from VW??????????

They are a tenner a set from GSF and a tenner each plus VAT from VW!!!!!!!!!!

Gavin

EDIT sorry, I lied. They are 14.50 plus VAT. :lol:

16193C CON ROD BEARING SET-STD G3 1.9 TD/TDi 1Z/AAZ Engs. 91> 14.50

Gavin :lol:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

There may be something special about the VAG bearings but I can't see it? There was a problem with the early G60 engines wearing the big ends but most of them were sorted under warranty years ago.

Gavin

Mike,i'm in the same boat as you mate,i never have any time and my car's kept in a barn which is very damp,i'm worried about the bores rusting seeing as the engine's headless,has been for a month..damm work

Yeah, still its better to be safer than sorry, daz @ G-werks pointed out that they mite need doing as there is a slight knocking on cold startup so i ordered the bearings straight away without really going to my first port of call at GSF... :)

As For your engine veedubbed just make sure theres a bit of oil in and around the bores and cover the block up, it should be fine for a while i woul dhave thought.