Sign in to follow this  
tattyrado

matrix bypass valve on a mk2 gti

I presume this is a similar set up to the rado, can anyone tell me what I need to do to replace the heater matrix bypass valve on a mk2 golf gti? I've heard that with a couple of bits of copper pipe and some jubile clips you can bypass it, problem is I havn't a clue what to join to what.

I know this could cause the matrix to go but its a risk I'm willing to take, I want heat.

Pics of the bits in question would be excellent if anyones got any.

I had to do that on my old mk 2, it was a vw recall i think, you can buy i pair of valves from vw (£60ish) and they attach to the two pipes going into the bulkhead just to the right of the head.

If it's in a raddo, then you prob allready have them, they've just broken.

Its an old mk2 golf that I refuse to spent money on, it'll be dead soon anyway, I just need to know which pipes to connect to which if I ditch the valve.

The valves are now obselete but you may as well just buy the complete pipes new - about £7 each from GSF or VAG...

In theory tho for safety you should also fit a mk3 matrix too - about £30 from GSF

I think I've worked it out. Like I said, I'm not spending any money on this car. If the matrix goes I'll just bypass it again and cover the carpet in towels. One thing though, is the passenger at risk if the matrix goes? will their legs get covered in boiling water?

In theory tho for safety you should also fit a mk3 matrix too - about £30 from GSF

Aye?!?!? My genuine mk3 golf matrix lasted 8 months, dunno why these things just eat their way through matrixes