Sign in to follow this  
cubed

16v exhaust resonance?

hi ! just wondering if anyone has a problem with what seems to be an exhaust resonance through the cabin between, say 2000 and 3500 rpm?

i,ve read in one of my very old vw audi car mags that it was a common complaint when the c was a little younger!

more to the point,how do i cure it?? it drives me insane!its a major buzz that occurs in that rev band. you can tell the engines smooth cos once you pass that the buzz gos and the engine revs lovely.

sorry didnt know exactly where to put this one,drivetrain or interior,but as its the interior thats driving me daft its here. :lol:

ta for any advice on this one!!

Most likely a heat sheild...

Have a look under the car as someone rev's it - probably the one on the bottom of the cat... large jubilee is the fix!

Could be the heatshield under the bonnet against the bulk heat. Mine came off one of the pegs and caused a similar problem. Difficult to see though unless your 14 feet tall with a really long neck as its a bit of a stretch.

Cheers

Jay

My 1990 1.8 16v used to have that annoying "boomy" resonance ... IMO I rather suspect it's very much the case that the standard VAG exhaust is the culprit. I lived with it for several years from new.

I only managed to get rid of the unpleasantness by changing the exhaust system when i started to upgrade the C. I don't know if simply changing the back box will cure the problem since I changed the entire system.

yes the heat sheild does appear to be a little dodgy,i,l secure it today,see if it makes a difference,it,l get an exhaust later in the year if not.

thanks for your help!!

turns out the hot air feed for the airbox was rotten to death and was just rattling away on the manifold,so ive binned it! secured the heat sheild too,once my timing belt whines sorted it should be silky!!