Sign in to follow this  
paulg60

removing boost return?

is there any performance gains? will it DAMAGE anything?

:? has anyone got any step by step instructions as to how to remove the boost return pipes. or a nice diagram, pics would be great. you probably sick of hearing about this now but i'm new to this and very confused :?

The Oil breather is fed off to a catchtank where all the vapours are condenced. It is possible just to place a small pipercross filter on the end of the ISV instead of leading it off to the tank.

The return hose is junked and the Throttle body left to blow off to air. Nothing will get sucked in as there is always excess boost being vented via the secondary butterly in the open position.

There has been quite a bit of controvercy about whether or not chargers need oil vapours to lubricate them. My personal opinion is that the need for oil vapours is a falocy. This opinion is based on our own findings. I've ran my track G40 with boost venting to air and vapours to a catchtank for the past 2 years. The charger has been stripped and inspected several times. There is no accelerted wear on the scroll, apex seals or the casing apex seal faces. Apex seals are made of PTFE impregnated with bronze and are basically a self lubing bush that does notrequire lubrication. With the oil breather conneted in the convetional fashion there is always a build up of scum in the charger made up of mayonased oil and carbon deposits which is not the healthest deposits have being chucked about the charger. This build up is non existant on chargers with boost vented to air.

The oil vapours are normally vented back into the combustion chambers via the charger to be burnt off, this is not really a good thing as oil is not as volotile as petrol and the presence of oil deaderns the burn which enduces the chance of pinking.

The contents of my catchtank.

mess

A short vid where you can hear what the boost return to air sounds like from inside the car

Sorry for the long reply[video width=400 height=350]http://www.pitstopdevelopments.com/vid/afr1st.WMV

Ye. it is quite louder than you expect. Charger's shift a large volume of air, you get a constant whoosh when you back off and hold it at high RPM.

Hi,

Does anyone do a kit for this or do you have to make the bits your self from empty washing up bottles and sticky back plastic?

LOL.. Ye Oil catch tanks have been made, as have the blanking plates for the charger. We have just got to clean everything up when Darren returns.

As regards the 'Stickey black plastic method', for all you blue peter fans out there who are not concerned about looks you can always save yourself some money and use a old Coke bottle as a catchtank. A hole in the side to lead the hose from the breather too and perferate a series of holes in the top of bottle for breathing. Gaffa tape and a few zip ties will keep the engineering genius in place. I'm afraid there is no blue peter badge included in this package. :lol:

awwwww i want a blue peter badge :lol: . thanks for the info think i know whot i'm doing this weekend :D just hope it goes ok