Sign in to follow this  
Jon TDI

Timing with High Octane Fuel

I've been thinking about playing around with the ignition timing to maximise the benefit of using Optimax fuel + Octane booster.

The way I might do it is loosening off the dizzy & rotating it slightly to advance the timing then tighten up again.

I know the timing at the moment is set at the standard settings with 95 Octane level. If I am using Optimax (98 RON) & running an octane booster, I could advance the ignition slighty to suit.

What do you guys think? Does this sound feasible or I am just talking crap?

sounds right to me jon.. many of the cca list members have talked about this. your procedure sounds like the ones i've heard before but i've never done this myself.

my car ran wonderfully without any distributor rotating when i ran high octane (110). i have a chip, so maybe it sorts all that out automatically...

of course i should add this

the chip cant move the physical timing on the cam or the dizzy cap, but can adust the fueling to suit.

I've read the tips on setting up the G60 engine on the SNS Tuning website.

Sam mentions that you can adjust the dizzy to advance the ignition timing (Americans have lower octane fuel rating than over here) for a bit more umph!!

I'm gonna give this a go & see if I get any results.

So I've messed about with this advancing the ignition on the dizzy.

I can definately say it makes a difference. I only rotated the dizzy only 2 or 3 degrees, but it does pick up alot quicker than normal :wink:

It's best to mark where the dizzy is to start with & if you go too far you can go back to normal.

I'm running Optimax in the tank at the moment, maybe I'll add a splash of octane booster later & try it again.

I've got a track day coming up soon, so I'll have it ready for then.

And with the SNS chip I'll be acquiring, I think I'll have some fun. :D