Sign in to follow this  
Lanceevox

Amps

How do amps bring the power to all the speakers? I want to get a new cd deck installed and an amplifier to power the six speakers. Will it probably be cheaper to install them at the same time? Does the amplifier only connect to the cd deck and then the deck sends the power from there? OR does the amp have to connect to each individual speaker to provide more power? HOW DOES AN AMP BRING THE POWER TO THE SPEAKERS?!?!

Thanks, Nick.

You feed the amp with the signal you want amplifying. The amp does it's job and you run this signal through speaker cable to each speaker. Six speakers will require a 6 channel amp or someway of splitting the output, like a crossover.

TBH a lot of modern head units have pretty adequate amps built in. Unless you are feeding big bass speakers.

Gavin

ok, this is how to install an amplifier:

First of all, you must run a +12v feed from your battery to power your amp (Remember to fit a fuse). You should also find a nice firm metal spot for earth, and run a short wire from the amp to the earth point (should be less than 1 foot, 30cm). Then you must run a pair (I have three, front, back and sub signal, since I got three outputs on my cd-deck.) RCA leads from your cd player to your amplifier. These leads transfers a low-voltage signal from the cd-player to the amplifier, which just as the name suggests, amplifies the signal, and sends it out through the speakers.

To get all this amplified music to your speakers, though, you must run speaker wires from each of the speakers back to your amplifier. To make this easier for you (I presume you are going to use the original locations for your speakers), you can just extend the wires poking out of your dash, and hide them under the carpet all the way back to the trunk. It is through these cables the amp powers the speakers.

tada