Sign in to follow this  
H8RRA

Bought a grown-up corrado-Audi Coupe :) Help Needed

Audi coupe :roll: - drove around in the dark for a while and noticed leccy windows where a bit slow but had no indication that the battery was not charging. Upon stopping for a few minutes, returned to the car and the warning light and temperature light flashed at me constanlty. checked the water level but thats okay - checked the alternator belt - thats okay.

the battery has lost its charge totally and barely got me home - coughing and spluttering with insufficient charge to run the car, so theres certainly a charging issue but why the dash warning light AND temperature light? Is this an audi thing? if theres no charge going to the battery, is the presumption that the alternator/water pump belt has gone and therefore it lights both lights???

Sorry for poor pics - camera phone in the dark :roll:

The brake & cooling lights flash on the dash when the engine is off. The low battery voltage will also cause the same effect.

Did you still have PAS?

The V6 Coupe also uses a brake 'bomb' which is pressurised from the engine as opposed to vacuum servo.

What model do you have?

2.0 16v cheapie - very tidy and nice tho. new runabout so golf tdi up for sale.

I still had PAS - there's no belt damage or slackness.

so i think you're saying low battery voltage gives brake and cooling light flashes?

Cooling light doesn't make sense mind, unless as I stated previously, the assumption is the fan belt has gone if the battery is flat and therefore the water pump isn't being driven.

I had a long suffereing problem on my V6 where the alternator power lead was rubbing on the sub frame causing the occasional short whenever I accelerated! the result was a sudden drop in battery volts and the two lights flashing on the dash - as if the ignition was on but engine off.

What's the voltmeter reading with the engine running and lights on?

Should be 13.8V

when i first saw the lights, i assumed low water in the expansion tank or fan/alternator belt.

haven't got used to the novelty of a voltmeter so didn't check but its the only logical option - i'll charge it today and see how it goes - probably need to get the alternator sorted.

They're great cars.

Just sold my 2.6 V6 with a view to buying a Corrado!

Built like tanks, zinc galvanised - really good.

Easy check is run the engine, check the battery volts, should be 14V or there abouts, put on all your electrics, volts should dip and recover.

A nice pulley noise with the alternator loaded indicates it's doing the right thing - converting all that mechanical energy to electrical.

What is your battery voltage with just the ignition on?

...also,

any common faults for central locking and interior light?

Central locking not working and interior light on door opening. Anyone with decent audi forum links etc??????

http://www.audifans.net

Really good guys.

Central locking is pneumatic. The pump is in the boot near the filler cap. Check the wiring to the pump, I think its a 3 wire changeover connection for each door open-common-close.

If the pump is working, you may have a leak in your pipe!

strange things happening here???? sometime when i fire up the car, the voltage is down at 11v with the warning lights flashing. By turning off and restarting - sometime numerous times - the voltage kicks ins at about 13.5v and charging progresses no probs??????

WTF????????

Sorry if it's "teaching to suck eggs" but I had an intermittent power problem with a previous car and it was all solved by sanding the -ve terminal on the battery and lubing it then tightening up properly.

Sorry if it's "teaching to suck eggs" but I had an intermittent power problem with a previous car and it was all solved by sanding the -ve terminal on the battery and lubing it then tightening up properly.

thats what i was hoping - at the worst a temperamental alternator replacement. haven't had time to diagnose but wondered whether there was any known audi faults - wasn't sre about the light warnings in the first place as a temperature and warning light would indicate overheating/no water pump drive-belt snap. as the belt isn't snapped, still find it strange that the temperature light comes on.........