Sign in to follow this  
Dub_nut_g60

Dont suppose someone has a car i could borrow.....

ok guys, didnt expect this so am a bit stuck!!

took my car to the garage this morning to have a look at a slight water leak and it turns out my Head Gasket has gone!

dont suppose someone has a lil car they would let borrow for the week do they?? i live in Portsmouth area and work in Guildford so have to commute daily and train really isnt practical for where i live and where i have to get to, couple that with having alot of meetings and events after work and it happens the be probably the most inconvenient week for it to happen!!!

any help greatly apprecaited, seveal beer tokens waiting for your trouble!!!

Cheers

Andy

Just for the record:

Compression test: Stick a manometer in each spark plug hole and crank engine; all cylinders should have approx. equal reading, on a G60 anywhere between 10 and 12 bar or so. If deviations found, then they do another compression test, this time squirting a bit of oil down the cylinder under test. if compression value increases, that points to likely piston ring gone.

Leak-down test: They pressurise each cylinder with spark plug removed using external compressed air, then measure the compression over a period of time. This can pinpoint the problem a bit more accurately.

HTH

Tempest