Sign in to follow this  
flusted

dipped beam not working

Had a look at iowcorrados car today as his dipped beam doesnt work.

Theres power coming out of the switch,but none at the bulbs?

Any ideas?

Fuse?

Have you got an uprated loom? There should be 2 in-line fuses somewhere near the lights, one for dipped, one for high beam.

thanks for posting thread aide much appreciated! does anyone know where the relay for the lights are i have no uprated loom as aide's mentioned! side lights and main beam work fine we think whatever it is has burnt out?? as i had awfull smell and burning before lights went out but now no smell & no lights!

There isn't any relays, that's why the lights are crap from the factory. Most likely problem is the stalk.

Gavin

hi gavin me and aide changed the stalk last week but not for this problem for the wash wipe relay! its not the main beam where the problem is thou its the side lights and dipped beam and they operate from the switch so why would the stalk interfere with these?

Because the power for the dip and main beam runs through the stalk regardless of the headlight switch position. The sidelights also have some control from the stalk for the parking light facility.

I'd have the cowls off and make sure you have connected the indicator stalk.

Gavin

gavin the problem is there is some wiring burnt some where probs at the connector anyone got any idea where this would be? thats why nopower to lights I think as i had smoke come into the dash then it stopped then lights went out so something has burnt out somewhere?

I haven't got my Bentlry at home so I can't check for you. A MK2 or Passat manual would tell you where the wires go to and from.

Power out of the switch could be getting stopped before the indicator stalk if the wires are burnt through or not connected.

Gavin

There is a loom from the fusebox to the headlight switch, one to the stalk from the fusebox and then one that goes off under the bonnet from the fusebox.

I would think the latter 2 to be more likely.

If it's any help, you should be able to use Passat looms from the fusebox to the 2 stalks and maybe to the lights at a push. The headlight plugs would have to be spliced in though.

Gavin