Sign in to follow this  
jonny-5

16v dies when revved

Hi, i've been having some prolems recently with my 1800 16v, it's a real pain to start - takes maybe 10+ times! Once it's started it idles nicely, but if you even breathe on the throttle it cuts out!! Any ideas?

It's got worse (kind of). I got it started and it revved - reckon it was the battery cos i was jump starting it and then disconnecting straight away, maybe. Anyway i went for a little drive to charge up the battery and after a few miles i lost all engine power and came to a hault, i'm properly pissed off now. Is it the battery not having enough power of something?

Don't i look a silly bugger, and no it wasn't out of petrol.

Me and my step dad went down a minute ago to try and get the thing going, after connecting the battery to the battery of the land rover and repeated failed atempts to start, my step dad sat in the drivers seat and tried to start it while i looked around the engine bay. It's a good job it was dark because i noticed a white flashing light from near the fire wall. On closer inpection i saw that the coil was arcing out on to the piece of copper u-bend pipe i used to bypass the heater matrix!!!!!!

Then i go to move it (not thinking at this point) and got a few volts in my hand - doesn't have make you jump!!

So there you go - make sure if you do by pass the heater matrix to put the pipe AWAY from the coil.

oh and don't touch the coil

It's nice when people actually conclude a thread with the cause of the fault. Excellent work, I'm glad it's sorted because if I'm honest I had no idea!

lol, i must jumped back about 6 foot - can still feel some tingling even now! Does anyone know how many volts that was?

Don't know how many volts but i got a similiar shock off my old renault adjusting an HT lead :roll: avec engine running, with other hand on strut brace, and it went right across my chest :oops: which could have been bad! :lol: Good job the amperage is low. On aircraft jet engines you're looking at 1500-2000 amps, which would ruin your day! :shock:

lol, i must jumped back about 6 foot - can still feel some tingling even now! Does anyone know how many volts that was?

Modern coil designs produce voltage pulses up in the neighborhood of 40,000 volts

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hb ... ition.html

:shock: ...so that's why VW put those warning stickers in the engine bay :lol: