Sign in to follow this  
Jonathan1976

Help 2.0 16V causing a hole in the head and wallet

Dear All,

At ideling the engine seems to skip a beat revs disappear to 2-300 rpm and then it recovers and idels at 1000rpm for a few seconds before it does it again. Problem starts when car has been running for a few minutes. Garage hasn't a clue and over the cause of a few months I've had just about verything replaced (ignition switch, distributor, alarm relay...0 feel i'm been taken for a ride or not as the case may be. Any suggestions on what and where i could get it fixed? :cry:

do a search for idle problems mate, loads of threads and poss cures.

Also if your a 2ltr valver you should be able to hook up to VAG COM and get some error codes from the ECU. There is a thread with people local to you with access to the software. Think it is in the engine bay section...

Welcome to the forum, stick a few pics up if you feel like it!

Andrew

If it does it all the time I'd get a fuel pressure test done. It could be something stupid like a blocked fuel filter is restricting the flow until the pump can overcome it. From what you've said the garage seem to believe it's an ignition, or at least electrical, fault though.

While the 9A ECU is VAG-COM compatible it's code table is very limited I believe.

bcstudent, i think it depends on the version of VAG COM but I could be wrong.

Vince told me that my Throttle position switch was on the blink when he plugged in VAG COM at the RR day.

Thanks bcstudent and lippy. I've spoken to the garage again and suggested what you have said. The garage tell me its the feul metering head that needs replacing and recon this could cost between £400-£700!!

Thanks bcstudent and lippy. I've spoken to the garage again and suggested what you have said. The garage tell me its the feul metering head that needs replacing and recon this could cost between £400-£700!!

2nd hand shouldn't be more than 20 or 30 quid, 50 at most and I'd expect a garantee from a breakers if it's that much.

have all the fuel pressures been checked out properly by the garage - do they know what they're doing with KE-jet?

David.